Buying a Used Reef System? Any Pointers?

Mike Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I have been wanting to piece together a new reef tank lately and was going to buy everything I need used to save some money. I was looking to setup a 40-55gal display tank with a 20 gallon sump that had a fuge and skimmer in it. Well I was searching around today and found a running 40 gallon breeder with a 30 gallon sump for $450. I will copy and paste all the included equipment listed below along with a link of a few pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/QyR1rgh

Drilled 40b, 30 long sump, stand w/light arm, jebao wp-10, jebao rw-8, jebao dc-4000, bubble magus Nac 3.5 (one piece of the base is missing- still works perfectly fine), 2 heaters, black box with SB Reef Retro light kit, light timer, sump light/bulb, Tunze ATO, and 100gpd Spectrapure Rodi with newish filters (about 40+- gallons through them)- also any food, chemicals, etc I come across- also a wp-25 and a 30(?) gallon brute container, and a TLF Phosban reactor w/ pump, a refractometer and Hanna Phosphate checker.

How does all of this equipment sound to everyone? Anything you wouldn't run or want to replace? I just feel like for $450 or possibly even a bit less, it is a bargain and don't have to deal with buying all individual pieces. Now if I were to go for it, how is the best way to transport it? I believe it is still running with a few corals and possibly a goby or two. Fully drain the entire system or? Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're looking at a grand worth of 'stuff', new prices, at a 60% discount... give or take a few bucks.

It's not a bad deal... IF: You really want a 40g breeder system.

I'm not much on Jabao pumps, but some folks like 'em. Black box / SB lighting, not exactly top shelf, but it'll grow corals. The bubble magus is a decent skimmer, the Tunze ATO... you didn't say nano or universal, but in either case, they're excellent. RO/DI system is likely fine... or can be, you might need new filters.

Don't forget to add in the time and effort you're going to spend reworking, cleaning, etc... that time is investment, as much so as what you get out of your wallet.

If the system fits your desires, fine. If you really want something different, in my experience, buying something you don't want because you don't want to spend the money to buy what you really want is rarely a money saving venture. Buying twice is always more expensive.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s a good deal as well. That stuff new adds up quick and would be well over 450. Good luck![emoji106]

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't comment on the price. As far as moving it, depends on whether you have another system to hold the live stuff? If this is your only system, you need to try to preserve the biofilter and water parameters. What kind of corals?

At a min, I would plan on washing the sand, or replacing it. Lots of problems tied to trying to move and reuse on old sandbed.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices seem to be really dependent on location but I feel like that is on the high side. If it is up and running assume it has ich.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price looks good for that equipment. Whoever is selling it probably went 50% of cost then since an additional 10%, which in my world is fair price territory.

If you go for it, I would skip any rock or substrate offered. Clean everything as well as you can and be patient when setting things up.

Just be sure that this is the tank you want. Don't go spend 450 and not get what you want.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price to me seems fine, i would try to wiggle a little more see if it falls a little. Im also from NJ and everything is expensive [emoji23].

How old ate the light and pumps?
Leds are not forever especially near uv or uv. And ime jeabo are not the greatest in longevity.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • D/C

Votes: 58 63.0%
  • Both

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 13 14.1%
Back