Buying fully established tanks?

Stinson Beach Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 24, 2024
Messages
51
Reaction score
40
Location
Tiburon
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I’m curious if anyone has any advice or experience on buying used aquariums that are already fully established from the previous owner. I am interested in buying a used reef tank and numerous listings I’ve found include fully established setups with liverock, coral, refugiums, anemones, etc.. One listing in particular includes all of this and the tank is fully operational with no signs of sick livestock or corals. I’m curious if anyone has had any experience or recommendations for a situation like this. I know biosecurity could be an issue but since everything appears healthy (can’t know for sure) there is less of risk than sourcing from multiple vendors. I greatly appreciate anyone’s insight!

- Patrick
 
Verify tank is healthy with water tests, Moving them is lots of work and time consuming, Be patient take pictures of everything while it is setup so you can try to get it back in the area it came from. Once set back up, I would still put all fish in QT and watch them closely feeding them for a few days, easier to watch and catch if needed just in case. they are going to get stressed no mater what. Also when I have done this if there is a sand bed I replace it.
 
Last edited:
Hello all!
I’m curious if anyone has any advice or experience on buying used aquariums that are already fully established from the previous owner. I am interested in buying a used reef tank and numerous listings I’ve found include fully established setups with liverock, coral, refugiums, anemones, etc.. One listing in particular includes all of this and the tank is fully operational with no signs of sick livestock or corals. I’m curious if anyone has had any experience or recommendations for a situation like this. I know biosecurity could be an issue but since everything appears healthy (can’t know for sure) there is less of risk than sourcing from multiple vendors. I greatly appreciate anyone’s insight!

- Patrick
I would say that it depends on your level of experience and overall knowledge of reef systems. I have had reef tanks for 20 years and saltwater systems for almost 50. Yet when I tried to move a 125 g system I lost most of my fish. It would also somewhat depend on what fish and corals are included. Some move much easier than others. Not saying you shouldn't do it but would only recommend it for a knowledgeable reefer and fully realize the challenge by reading similar posts. Good luck.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new