Mandarin behavior

3littlefishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies in advance if this question seems silly. I’ve had my mandarin Harry for about 2 weeks and he only comes out of his usual hiding spot when the lights are on in the tank.

My 32 gallon Biocube is 2 months old but I did a great deal of research before buying a mandarin. I’m fully stocked with 2 clowns, 2 blood shrimps and Harry the mandarin. They all seem to be getting along fine. The lights are usually off unless I’m checking for things as I wanna keep them off for a few months until the tank is a bit more established. I’ve noticed that Harry only comes out of his usually hiding spot and freely roams as soon as I turn on the lights. Once off, right back to his hiding spot. I’ve tried keeping them on longer and the same thing happens. Seems odd.

The tank is full of live rock and live sand. I put copepods in a few days before I got Harry and used a turkey baster to squeeze the copepods into all the rock and a little rubble pile on the corner. I also did it at night in hopes of a better outcome. I just started culturing too, so I should have more in a few weeks, fingers crossed.

I’m just curious about the lights thing if anyone has any insight. Thought it was better to keep them off for awhile but if it’s making Harry happy should I reconsider?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does this.
However, on occasion he goes for a hunt in twilight.
Normal IMM. Keep the lights cycling.
IMG_0236.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back