Buying Hawaiian fish in Hawaii?

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Going to Visit Kona Hawaii in April, anyone know if any LFS or Divers that maybe I can grab something cool to bring back? Is that even a thing? Can you bring fish on a plane back with you?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s a difficult state for the locals to even get fish........ Better off ordering online and shipping..... not worth the headache

G12_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaii has very strict laws going in and out of the state with any kind of living organisms. An average member of the public wouldn’t find it worth their while to bring back fish legally, and attempting to do so illegally is punishable by huge fines and possible prison time. Besides that, I visit Hawaii regularly and I have never seen a LFS that compares to what we have on the mainland. They have very strong regulations on the aquarium trade. Owning coral is flat out illegal.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I would definitely pass on any thoughts of bringing something home with you, more likely than not to end up with confiscation and possibly a fine than anything else. That and the logistics of bringing it back with you would be a pain.

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaii has very strict laws going in and out of the state with any kind of living organisms. An average member of the public wouldn’t find it worth their while to bring back fish legally, and attempting to do so illegally is punishable by huge fines and possible prison time. Besides that, I visit Hawaii regularly and I have never seen a LFS that compares to what we have on the mainland. They have very strong regulations on the aquarium trade. Owning coral is flat out illegal.
So then no one has a reef tank in Hawaii? Bummer

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I would definitely pass on any thoughts of bringing something home with you, more likely than not to end up with confiscation and possibly a fine than anything else. That and the logistics of bringing it back with you would be a pain.

so it’s not like the mainland when you can bring coral Frags and stuff back from conventions in your carry on cooler?

MSOEME2009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They X-Ray and do another scan for plant/animals at the airport. I was just there in April. Hawaii doesn't mess around with their eco-systems.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so it’s not like the mainland when you can bring coral Frags and stuff back from conventions in your carry on cooler?

I'd be willing to bet you would get slapped with a big fine for that one in Hawaii, unless the folks at the airport are asleep on the job.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Going to Visit Kona Hawaii in April, anyone know if any LFS or Divers that maybe I can grab something cool to bring back? Is that even a thing? Can you bring fish on a plane back with you?
The local collectors don't even have signs on their facilities for fears that radical environmentalists will vandalize them. So, good luck finding one. It is not illegal to own Hawaii fishes (or other) in Hawaii. The issue will be getting them through security at Hilo/Kona/Honolulu airports. Best to check with your airline first and get their policies, and pre-approval. Bill Stockly (in Kona) retired after Petco moved in. Too bad, I bought a juvenile Chevron Tang from him for $25.

Back