Hawaii Fish Ban Update

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh ISPF, how can they be based IN Hawaii and not ship TO us here? Makes no sense.
Interstate transport of a lot of things (not necessarily fish or corals, and not necessarily living) is restricted state by state and by the USDA Dept of Agriculture. Technically, you need a USDA permit for all interstate transport of living things, plant or animal. States individually issue their own plant/animal export and import permits. The Lacey Act makes any violation of interstate law a federal offense. All that being said, this obviously isn't enforced very much for individuals. The exceptions usually are regarding endangered species, or when particular states are particularly vigilant (California and Florida leap to mind), or when you are an entity like a business or institution where you are subject to inspection (which is how I know).

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interstate transport of a lot of things (not necessarily fish or corals, and not necessarily living) is restricted state by state and by the USDA Dept of Agriculture. Technically, you need a USDA permit for all interstate transport of living things, plant or animal. States individually issue their own plant/animal export and import permits. The Lacey Act makes any violation of interstate law a federal offense. All that being said, this obviously isn't enforced very much for individuals. The exceptions usually are regarding endangered species, or when particular states are particularly vigilant (California and Florida leap to mind), or when you are an entity like a business or institution where you are subject to inspection (which is how I know).

Oh yeah I'm aware of the hurdles to ship to/from Hawaii to the mainland. I wasn't talking in terms of interstate, I live in Hawaii so it puzzled me as to why they can ship goods and livestock within the state to customers. Hell I'd even fly over to the Big Island and pick it up myself if that makes it easier lol

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you are asking that to see how hypocritical I am. :)

That was my goal, but I have six wild yellow headed jawfish as nobody was selling captive bred. So now I am trying to raise my Jaw Fishes' Babies to offset and possibly turn it into some side income. Not sure how it will pan out yet, but I definitely want to see captive bred JF.

It's an interesting hobby and there are aspects of it that I think are well meaning, like coral propagation and captive breeding of fish that are very worth while to understand, but overall, like zoos...there is just a part of me that thinks it's just wrong. I enjoy my tank, but I'm very self-aware of the selfishness of the whole thing. That's just my personal feelings about it.
Tbh, I don’t disagree with you about the argument against wild caught. like you, I feel that humans (on a large scale) can’t and shouldn’t be trusted to do the right things. I like the idea of tank raised/ captive bred fish as well, I don’t particularly enjoy the markups they fetch though.
I was actually curious if your whole tank was captive only, as some do.
I guess my question is why do we (the Royal we) care more about some species of fish and not others when it comes to wild collection?
Anyhow, I’m somehow on both sides of the fence with this.

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually applied for and received a permit to collect fish in Hawaii two years prior to the ban. However, the restrictions on where you could collect were way too complicated so I didn't even bother. What I did find to be the most interesting thing in this endeavor, was that I went over to the DAR office on the Big Island and spent some time talking with a few of their employees. They were so knowledgeable and willing to converse with people. Did you know that the Hawaiian reef system is the MOST STUDIED REEF in the world. The numbers and stats that they have are amazing and you can get on their website and see for yourself.
This whole thing came about because of a few people with different objectives. Some people just need a cause. Ya know, like the people who always end up in charge of your HOA. Nothing better to do in life than to move to a new place and make other people miserable by preaching that they know what's best for every other person in the world. And then there are those who only look at it for their own profit. It's just too bad that the Hawaiian people listen to that instead of their very own people studying the whole situation.

amyxagl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know, like the people who always end up in charge of your HOA. Nothing better to do in life than to move to a new place and make other people miserable by preaching that they know what's best for every other person in the world.
:oops: but... but.. im on our HOA. i try to be an active listener of the community :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1712804410914.gif

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually applied for and received a permit to collect fish in Hawaii two years prior to the ban. However, the restrictions on where you could collect were way too complicated so I didn't even bother. What I did find to be the most interesting thing in this endeavor, was that I went over to the DAR office on the Big Island and spent some time talking with a few of their employees. They were so knowledgeable and willing to converse with people. Did you know that the Hawaiian reef system is the MOST STUDIED REEF in the world. The numbers and stats that they have are amazing and you can get on their website and see for yourself.
This whole thing came about because of a few people with different objectives. Some people just need a cause. Ya know, like the people who always end up in charge of your HOA. Nothing better to do in life than to move to a new place and make other people miserable by preaching that they know what's best for every other person in the world. And then there are those who only look at it for their own profit. It's just too bad that the Hawaiian people listen to that instead of their very own people studying the whole situation.
Thanks for sharing this!

Funny you say that because we don’t listen to these people. We were being held hostage by a court order and now being held hostage by a handful of activist and ideological bureaucrats that agree with them.

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh, I don’t disagree with you about the argument against wild caught. like you, I feel that humans (on a large scale) can’t and shouldn’t be trusted to do the right things. I like the idea of tank raised/ captive bred fish as well, I don’t particularly enjoy the markups they fetch though.
I was actually curious if your whole tank was captive only, as some do.
I guess my question is why do we (the Royal we) care more about some species of fish and not others when it comes to wild collection?
Anyhow, I’m somehow on both sides of the fence with this.
Yeah, it's tough sometimes. I go to the zoo a couple times a year with my kids and it's nice to be able to see these animals up close, but at the same time the whole thing is just weird if you really stop and think about it.

Having a fish tank is weird too. Pluck the creatures out of their natural habitat so we can stare at them for our enjoyment. Do they really know any better/different...probably not, nor do they care.

Obviously doesn't bother me that much otherwise I wouldn't have one, but lessening my impact on the ocean...however small that may be, while supporting companies like Biota, makes me feel better about it.

:)

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That report is from the State of Hawaii Division of Aquatic Resources. So if you’re suggesting it’s biased you’re wrong once again
Was my view based on the studies and controls in Hawaii it was more sustainable than any other areas. Agenda being push by people who would just be happy nothing was taken from the ocean. Just like those that want zoos closed up. Zoos have been able to learn more about the animals. They have saved many sick and injured animals. Zoos have also helped with breeding endangered species. A lot of their fund come from fees paid by people visiting the Zoos.
Breeding and keeping certain saltwater fish have come a long way. Many fish and corals were almost impossible to keep 20-30 years ago.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fine with the ban. The more captive bred fish the better. Everyone on here says this isn’t based on science. But most studies conducted have some form of bias in them, and nobody on here knows the real truth. Nobody on here can convince me that taking hundreds of thousands of tangs from Hawaii has done nothing to their populations. Those fish are there for all people to enjoy in their natural environment. The number of tang fisherman and aquarium hobbyists are greatly outnumbered by the people of Hawaii and the people who visit Hawaii who benefit from more numerous and less skittish yellow tangs. All you guys are just upset you can no longer buy 20$ yellow tangs.

Kylesreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is the ban solves no problems and perhaps even exacerbates them, not whether or not anyone believes it's a good idea. It's not. That really isn't up for debate, and we can feel sympathetic to the ocean all we want but the reality is science has proven it's best to continue on the course that was set with the fishery in place. We can either ask the politicians to go get an education on this, or allow them to make ill-educated decisions that impact the ability for these fisheries to ever get capital or be setup in the future when impact will be logically even less than it is today. The thing is, today the impact is zero. It's a waste of political time and resources because the voices of a select few are unreasonably loud enough to stop people from reasoning for themselves even when presented with scientific fact.

This is not a debate. This post is an update on an unfortunate reality that likely exists in other forms in our own communities and should be faught against whenever recognized.

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fine with the ban. The more captive bred fish the better. Everyone on here says this isn’t based on science. But most studies conducted have some form of bias in them, and nobody on here knows the real truth. Nobody on here can convince me that taking hundreds of thousands of tangs from Hawaii has done nothing to their populations. Those fish are there for all people to enjoy in their natural environment. The number of tang fisherman and aquarium hobbyists are greatly outnumbered by the people of Hawaii and the people who visit Hawaii who benefit from more numerous and less skittish yellow tangs. All you guys are just upset you can no longer buy 20$ yellow tangs.

lol.

Poulpo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to put thing in perspective. Captive bred fish are maybe ethically better but certainly not the perfect sustainable solution. Energy footprint, land footprint, material footprint is worse. It saved the banggai carfinalfish but absolutely cannot save ocean biodiversity.

The actual dramatic decline in biodiversity come from (food) overfishing, habitat destruction, climate change witch are much broader problems.

Actually wild fishing has helped local people in a few places in the world to learn how to take care of their local reef and to abandon much more destructive fishing like dynamite fishing.

That said, as a spearfisher, l always leave the place when some diver arrive so they can enjoy the place better. The ocean is big enough for everybody and could feed a lot more people if managed properly.

Brucemull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a couple of sources . . . . . . .
The Hawaiian aquarium fishery has been shut down due to a court order requiring an environmental review. The court requirements have been satisfied and the State is moving forward in the permitting process. This is a two part meeting. The first is April 12, where DAR (Division of Aquatic Resources) will present the status of the fishery to the Land Board in a 92 page scientific analysis. Pending the outcome of the meeting Friday, a second meeting will occur in 6-8 weeks.

Nothing has gone according to plan in this process, so we should
not be surprised the opposition has requested the Board to ban the fishery at the April 12 meeting as well.

We need your assistance, now, and in a few months. We urge you to send a simple email to the Land Board.
CLICK HERE to send an email. (Correct email included)

You can elaborate as much as you like, but be clear in your position in the first sentence.

Click here for a Link to the recent findings by DAR that will be presented on Friday that you can review.
Email sent

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a different perspective is when you see half of these “aquarium fish” laid out on ice at some “3rd world” fish market waiting to be dinner. (don’t care for term 3rd world)

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll be the same price as before the ban
Same price to wholesalers or same price to the end buyer (hobbyist). Almost all fish on the wholesale list are 2-3x what they were a few years ago, I don't think Hawaii will be different. Would be awesome though!

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a couple of sources . . . . . . .
The Hawaiian aquarium fishery has been shut down due to a court order requiring an environmental review. The court requirements have been satisfied and the State is moving forward in the permitting process. This is a two part meeting. The first is April 12, where DAR (Division of Aquatic Resources) will present the status of the fishery to the Land Board in a 92 page scientific analysis. Pending the outcome of the meeting Friday, a second meeting will occur in 6-8 weeks.

Nothing has gone according to plan in this process, so we should
not be surprised the opposition has requested the Board to ban the fishery at the April 12 meeting as well.

We need your assistance, now, and in a few months. We urge you to send a simple email to the Land Board.
CLICK HERE to send an email. (Correct email included)

You can elaborate as much as you like, but be clear in your position in the first sentence.

Click here for a Link to the recent findings by DAR that will be presented on Friday that you can review.
sent the email!!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to them on Facebook and they said they are still in business.

Thanks! For some reason I'm unable to reach their site/portal so glad to hear it is a local (to me) thing. I have an older email/invoice so I'll just shoot them a email with what I was interested in. I try and grow the tang heaven macro algae for my rabbitfish and scopas tang. They love it but this go around I feed too much like a dork and the growth rate didnt' keep up. So time to restock.

Thank you again and have a great day!

Edit: OP - sorry for the slight delay in the thread.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back