Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally

totally agree. Kind of like the cichlid mentality. I have queen, emporer, blue face, Annularis and French.

I was very pleased with Foxy. Fish came in and looked so healthy. The super short supply chain helps tons!
I pulled the trigger. Ordered a 3-5 inch Grey and a 5-7 inch Queen, and one of his small Surgeons. Price was great, nice to get it straight from the diver. Thanks for the info on him.

OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I averted disaster. I got them Tuesday, just did a short QT to make sure they looked healthy and were eating. Which they were, I put them in Thursday, and my King Angel (H. Passer) went to work. I figured he would chase them for awhile just to show them who was boss, but it was much worse. He started relentlessly on the Queen, whom is 6+ inches, same as is the King. He absolutely terrorized the Queen, then he moved on to the almost 5 inch Grey.

IDK, I think you can tell when a fish just wants to show he’s the Alpha. The King Angel I believe was going to kill these fish. I tried catching them, my tank is 5x5x2.5, it’s a nightmare, I had no luck Thursday, so I killed all lights and left it. The next morning the moonlights on, King went right back to work. I used a bigger net, and finally got them. I think were exhausted and gave up.

They are back in QT, pretty roughed up, but eating and recovering. I also have a 460 gallon softyreef. It already has an 8 inch Emperor, but he’s never shown the least bit of aggression. I didn’t really want 2 more big angels in there, but I’ll be glad to have them there.

I’m going to QT them longer, let them heal, but also, ick in a FO tank isn’t the end of the world, obviously ick in a reef is a disaster, so make sure they’re good, hit them with cupramine in a few days.

Sorry, long post. I’ll get a video later.

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kings are absolutly nasty, meanest angel by far imo and gives a lot of the meanest triggerfish a run for their money as well

OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kings are absolutly nasty, meanest angel by far imo and gives a lot of the meanest triggerfish a run for their money as well
Yeah, I shouldn’t be too surprised. It kind of amazes me that a Pacific Ocean Angel still knows to go after angels from the Atlantic.

I had 5 really big angels in this tank, MAC, French, Koran, Emperor, and Queen. 3 of them I had for 12 years. Guess my luck ran out.

OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple clips, 1 of the qt, one of the King’s tank.....the QT is an old 28 gallon JBJ, I have a 55 gallon qt but I didn’t set it up as this one is easier and didn’t plan on them being in that long. Hope the videos work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think videos are working, did I do something wrong?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I owned a full line retail store and actually got in lg french-gret-queen and blues. The grey and french fed easily. The blues and queens were stubborn

OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned a full line retail store and actually got in lg french-gret-queen and blues. The grey and french fed easily. The blues and queens were stubborn
I’ve been feeding a combo of mysis and brine, both soaked in selcon. I’ve noticed the Grey eats it all, the Queen is only eating the brine for now.

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been feeding a combo of mysis and brine, both soaked in selcon. I’ve noticed the Grey eats it all, the Queen is only eating the brine for now.
My Queen eats algae straight out of my hand. Have you tried feeding them algae or nori?

OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Queen eats algae straight out of my hand. Have you tried feeding them algae or nori?
I’m not too worried, as long as they’re eating. It takes time for them to fully switch to a captive diet. I suspect 2 weeks ago (or less) this fish was in the wild.

Angelguy2502

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 20 years in the hobby I’ve kept a lot of different Angels, but never Pomacanthus arcuatus (Grey Angel). I’ve always gotten Angels as small juveniles, there is an opportunity to get this Angel online at 6 inches. Just worried that older Angels could be more difficult getting to acclimate to captivity. This is considered a fairly hardy Angel, just wondering from people that have brought in adult angels how that has gone. I don’t get to see the fish, but trust the company to send a healthy fish.
Hi. Im new to R2R but have been in the hobby for many years. I have 16 angels in my tank. Greys are easy to acclimate and will usually eat right away.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back