Buying Nero 3 over email (need advice)

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice! I posted on R2R about wanting to buy a nano wave maker. I got an email about a message I got on R2R telling me about a guy selling some, and the message gave me the guy's email. When I clicked on the message it was not on R2R and the page couldn't be found. I searched for the account that had sent the message but couldn't find it. The name of the account was Hard Frank. I emailed the guy and he is selling a nero 3 shipped. I thought that seemed like a really good deal and was going to go for it. The guy seems normal and nice. He wants me to use paypal (friends and family) so he doesn't get taxed on it. He sent pics of it. I asked if I could pay him the difference of the fees and services, and he said he just doesn't want to be taxed on the sale which I understand. The biggest thing that worried me was his paypal email was WAY different than the email I was using to talk to him. His regular email is [email protected] and the email he sent me for his paypal was [email protected] which just seemed odd to me. He also said he could use his wife's venmo.

What do you guys think? Should I take a possible chance on a good deal or go with something else?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it sounds fishy it’s fishy. Go with your instincts. If you thought enough to make a post you already know the answer.

These come up frequently on here and BRS open box, no need to gamble.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems fishy and most of the folks that have posted about been scammed seems similarly, someone recommend someone else. Check those accounts for activity and date create. I suspect they would be recently created and almost no post or threads. Don’t use friends or family unless you are doing in person exchange as you will have no recourse same with Venmo.

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it sounds fishy it’s fishy. Go with your instincts. If you thought enough to make a post you already know the answer.

These come up frequently on here and BRS open box, no need to gamble.
Seems fishy and most of the folks that have posted about been scammed seems similarly, someone recommend someone else. Check those accounts for activity and date create. I suspect they would be recently created and almost no post or threads. Don’t use friends or family unless you are doing in person exchange as you will have no recourse same with Venmo.
nope, giant red flag. I would never do this deal
Thanks guys! That was what I was going to go with but wanted a second opinion. In the words of my coworker a minute ago, "dang, aquarium people are so wise."

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already reported that guy for trying to scam me for a PM1 module. He provided me with a “friends” gmail account. Just report him so he can be removed. Guess he opened up another account. Report him again

562989E4-64FB-45CB-B4F0-4E9F9A1A7B1C.png

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
He wants me to use paypal (friends and family)

THIS right here is how you know it's a scam. NEVER send via FRIENDS AND FAMILY. When you send it F&F it takes all liability away from the banks and paypal. You're agreeing that you 100% know the person and they WILL NOT reverse it. They give you many warnings before sending F&F that you must really know the person you're sending the funds to.

If you are buying something and the seller will only allow you to send it F&F, find a new seller.

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already reported that guy for trying to scam me for a PM1 module. He provided me with a “friends” gmail account. Just report him so he can be removed. Guess he opened up another account. Report him again

562989E4-64FB-45CB-B4F0-4E9F9A1A7B1C.png
I think his account was already deleted because it won't show up when I click on his message in the email I got from R2R for the message

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS right here is how you know it's a scam. NEVER send via FRIENDS AND FAMILY. When you send it F&F it takes all liability away from the banks and paypal. You're agreeing that you 100% know the person and they WILL NOT reverse it. They give you many warnings before sending F&F that you must really know the person you're sending the funds to.

If you are buying something and the seller will only allow you to send it F&F, find a new seller.
Now I want to email him back and call him out for being bogus. I hate that people do that

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I want to email him back and call him out for being bogus. I hate that people do that
Wouldnt do that because they dont care, they will just move on to the next person to try to scam. You could just mess with them a bit by taking up their time with fake emails saying you cant find their paypal or "I sent it how have you not gotten the payment yet" but again more effort than it is worth. Hopefully people on here will see a lot of these posts about fake accounts and finally stop using paypal friends and family as it is a scam 90% of the time

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldnt do that because they dont care, they will just move on to the next person to try to scam. You could just mess with them a bit by taking up their time with fake emails saying you cant find their paypal or "I sent it how have you not gotten the payment yet" but again more effort than it is worth. Hopefully people on here will see a lot of these posts about fake accounts and finally stop using paypal friends and family as it is a scam 90% of the time
I do like the idea of wasting their time!!

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way, I haven't sold aquarium stuff, but I've sold and bought TONS of sports cards and would never deal with something that seemed super suspicious like that. Plus his whole tax argument thing makes no sense, I always told people if they're comfortable and verify my reputation in the sales groups they can send friends and family, if they want to pay goods and services just cover the fee (which isn't a lot)... for him not accepting you paying goods and services plus covering the fee, aside from all the other sketchy stuff, that's reason enough NOT to do a deal.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back