Buying PVC from BRS

HardCory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be buying PVC for my 180, Herbie overflow (3/4" main, 1" emergency). My stand is about 30", the tank is about 24" tall.
If anybody has gone this route, how much did you buy? I'm looking at getting 5 lengths of 58" for each, and I'm probably going WAY overboard. I know i can return it, but is this too much even for over planning?
Tia!

john1214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just plumbed a 210 the same way and I used about 10ft of 3/4" and 10ft of 1" so I would say buy a little extra just in case you have any mistakes along the way.

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked it up on Amazon a little cheaper, definiatly get more than you think you need, I ran 1 pc short to finish of my UV

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think any hardware store would sell some if you are a bit short. it probably cheaper too.

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also make sure you biy the proper "schedule" either 30, (flexible), or 40 (ridgid) dont mix them because they wont fit together.

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and NEVER buy the black A.B.S, pipe. its garbage and erodes away. nothing like black crap in your tank and filters. am i right? lol

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never go wrong with the good old white PVC from your local hardware. That way if you need something it is right there and you don't have to wait and order it. That is just my .02 cents worth though..

I'll add mine too, so we're up to .04 cents. Get some acetone to remove the markings...nice white pipe. If you "have" to have a color, just paint it any color you desire. The point is you will always have access to it when you need it, and it is a lot less expensive.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add mine too, so we're up to .04 cents. Get some acetone to remove the markings...nice white pipe. If you "have" to have a color, just paint it any color you desire. The point is you will always have access to it when you need it, and it is a lot less expensive.
Preach..

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and NEVER buy the black A.B.S, pipe. its garbage and erodes away. nothing like black crap in your tank and filters. am i right? lol
ok sorry if i am an idiot but really the black erodes? lol or you just messing with people? what would the color have anything to do with the pipe?

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your not an idiot. lol ive been a plumber for 9 years, A.B.S is a type of styrene. as in the styrofoam family. water over time degrades it. it is very cheap, as to why many prefab homes use it to keep costs at a minimum. p.v.c is a polyvinyl chloride. its far superior and wont degrade from water. it takes a serious caustic chemical to do that. abs is usualy black or grey

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your not an idiot. lol ive been a plumber for 9 years, A.B.S is a type of styrene. as in the styrofoam family. water over time degrades it. it is very cheap, as to why many prefab h
omes use it to keep costs at a minimum. p.v.c is a polyvinyl chloride. its far superior and wont degrade from water. it takes a serious caustic chemical to do that. abs is usualy black or grey
I was looking to get some schedule 40 from here https://www.savko.com/collections/black-pvc-fittings-schedule-40 in black. so now I don't know what i am going to do. does this apply to the brs black pipes and red brs sales?

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black ABS that you get at the hardware store is not the same as black PVC that you can buy at BRS. The BRS pipe will work well.
so will the scedule 40 pipes from the site i mentioned above work?

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as lynn52 said. if it says P.V.C its not abs. pvc comes in many colors. im only refering, to the (Norm) as far as color schemes go.

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also get the clear cleaner and glue. not the purple stuff. its messy and in my opinion inferior

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back