Buying PVC from BRS

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple cleaner has a purpose....for areas that building inspectors want some visual evidence that a cleaner was used on the joint. You probably don't need that on your fish tank. I prefer clear also....but always use cleaner.

wes_slavens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did this under a 150 cube and frag tank off the side. I ordered 3 of each 3/4" and 1". I only used 2 of each but if I had to do it again I would still order 3 to be safe.
14d9066ee3b51f3c7b398ba5796433fe.jpg
c3c2c08d21e7a6d7f5342bcf21e07394.jpg

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont trust the painted pvc that you can buy. I have seen it come off of the pipe. I figure if its up in the glue joint, you are glueing the paint layer and if it flakes from the pipe, it will leak. I think some pvs is actually colored pvc.

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont trust the painted pvc that you can buy. I have seen it come off of the pipe. I figure if its up in the glue joint, you are glueing the paint layer and if it flakes from the pipe, it will leak. I think some pvs is actually colored pvc.

I painted this myself. Blue painters tape around the glue joints. Sanded the pvc so the paint sticks better. Used a clear cote. Yes you can buy colored pvc but it's also 10x more expensive. If money isn't an option than by all means go with the colored stuff.

OP
OP
HardCory

HardCory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i missed all of this, guys. Apparently, i wasn't subscribed to my own post.
But I do appreciate everybody's input. I pulled the trigger as "over ordered" everything. Hopefully, this all works out for the best!

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i missed all of this, guys. Apparently, i wasn't subscribed to my own post.
But I do appreciate everybody's input. I pulled the trigger as "over ordered" everything. Hopefully, this all works out for the best!

I am the king of over ordering... and I typically use it at some point in the future anyway. For things like PVC, even the slightly more expensive colored variety, it's so cheap that I don't mind ordering a gaggle of it. So did you go with a color? If so, are you also getting color matching elbows, tees etc?

OP
OP
HardCory

HardCory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the king of over ordering... and I typically use it at some point in the future anyway. For things like PVC, even the slightly more expensive colored variety, it's so cheap that I don't mind ordering a gaggle of it. So did you go with a color? If so, are you also getting color matching elbows, tees etc?
I ended up going with all blue PVC, white fittings. I might end up doing another color for the return, but this is my first order of business. I'm going to be painting the inside of my stand white and lighting it; i wanna see what the he'll is going on in my stand!
After dealing with my 92 corner for so long, i want this tank to be done right!

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with all blue PVC, white fittings. I might end up doing another color for the return, but this is my first order of business. I'm going to be painting the inside of my stand white and lighting it; i wanna see what the he'll is going on in my stand!
After dealing with my 92 corner for so long, i want this tank to be done right!

Sweet, I look forward to seeing it!

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully, this turns out as nice as I'm planning lol

As long as you carefully plan it all out, carefully measure and then dry fit, it should turn out just as you planned. Mine was a total pain, as it's a very tight and complicated setup... but it turned out perfect with precise measuring, dry fitting and then making marks for proper clocking of the fittings. If even one cut was off by an 1/8", mine would of been off and not looked correct.

OP
OP
HardCory

HardCory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. The tank isn't moving until I'm 110% sure that it's ready.

OP
OP
HardCory

HardCory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might think about putting unions in also helps out a bunch as far as alignment because you can just rotate the union
I ordered 4; 2 for both main drains. I'm new to unions, so i wasn't quite sure where to put them. The concept of "everywhere" seemed to be lost in me lol

wes_slavens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 4; 2 for both main drains. I'm new to unions, so i wasn't quite sure where to put them. The concept of "everywhere" seemed to be lost in me lol
That's pretty much what I did just for the ease of it in the future. The pics of mine I think are on the previous page

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back