Buying Salt Water from LFS

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our local store offers pre-mixed salt water for $1 a gallon (and RO water for $0.50). Given that I am running a 10 gallon nano here, I think it might be a good idea to buy the salt water from them instead of mixing it myself. I use distilled water for top offs.

Seems like the large volume of water they have should make it more consistent, which is key. Any reason why I should not buy pre-mixed water from the store?

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it makes sense on your small scale as long as you do t mind lugging the water. Most salt costs around $.50 a gallon so unless you want to get your own rodi unit, it makes financial sense for the first 100-150 gallons

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you are checking the salinity of the water you buy. I have read many posts here from people getting pre made water that is very low 1.021 or less. Reasoning is it's cheaper for the store that way. Personally, I like the idea of having control of anything I introduce to my system, so I prefer to make my own water.

For a tank as small as yours, it might be worthwhile to get yourself one of the under cabinet systems that will also provide fresh drinking water. If you figure in the savings over buying bottled drinking water, and making the salt water for your tank, it will pay itself off in weeks.

Just a thought,
Steve

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you test the water to make sure the salinity is good, then I don't see the harm in it.

However I would personally recommend investing in an RO unit and mixing your own salt. Get the salinity you want, plus RO is amazing for drinking water, and you can divert the wastewater line from the drain to a bucket and water plants and gardens.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our local store offers pre-mixed salt water for $1 a gallon (and RO water for $0.50). Given that I am running a 10 gallon nano here, I think it might be a good idea to buy the salt water from them instead of mixing it myself. I use distilled water for top offs.

Seems like the large volume of water they have should make it more consistent, which is key. Any reason why I should not buy pre-mixed water from the store?

$1/Gallon is a very low price. That alone would make me wary. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Out here, pre-made water usually runs about double or triple that.

OP
OP
iMi

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought it was a huge waste of money buying store salt water but thats just me

The way I see it that the volume I need weekly is really small. The actual water volume in the nano is only about 6.5 to 7 gallons. If I change 2 gallons a week, it will cost me $8 a month. That’s negligible. The benefit, I hope, is that I’ll get more stable and more consistent mix. I’m assuming that having to mix a small batch myself may not give me the same consistency.

RO/DI unit would cost a lot more up front with much lower operating cost, but it may take years to recoup that cost. Plus, don’t forget the cost of the salt.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only started of with a 13 gal and I bought an RODI. I was glad I did. Then I converted my 20 gal FW dwarf shrimp tank to a reef. Needed more saltwater. Now I'm eying my 55 gal Fw planted tank...

OP
OP
iMi

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$1/Gallon is a very low price. That alone would make me wary. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Out here, pre-made water usually runs about double or triple that.

Well, that place is legit. Beautiful, high quality animals and products. Very well starred, too. They are always very busy. One of the nicest fish stores I’ve seen to date. I double they would throw away their reputation with bad water...

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that place is legit. Beautiful, high quality animals and products. Very well starred, too. They are always very busy. One of the nicest fish stores I’ve seen to date. I double they would throw away their reputation with bad water...
I like my lfs. It's not the fanciest place around but they are good people. I bought rodi water from them once when my rodi system was down. Their rodi water had higher tds than my tap water. I had to toss it.

I would not blindly trust lfs water....

OP
OP
iMi

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my lfs. It's not the fanciest place around but they are good people. I bought rodi water from them once when my rodi system was down. Their rodi water had higher tds than my tap water. I had to toss it.

I would not blindly trust lfs water....

That’s insane. I looked online just now and apparently you can buy a decent RO/DI unit that outputs lower quantities (20gal/day) at a very low cost. Like $70-100. That would make more sense.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be surprised. Why not just use distilled water you already buy it to top off the tank? If you want to be extremely consistent but a digital scale for 10 bucks off Amazon and weigh the salt and use the same amount of water

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it that the volume I need weekly is really small. The actual water volume in the nano is only about 6.5 to 7 gallons. If I change 2 gallons a week, it will cost me $8 a month. That’s negligible. The benefit, I hope, is that I’ll get more stable and more consistent mix. I’m assuming that having to mix a small batch myself may not give me the same consistency.

RO/DI unit would cost a lot more up front with much lower operating cost, but it may take years to recoup that cost. Plus, don’t forget the cost of the salt.
Your time going to the store. Your gas. Ect

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing salt is a PITA. I swear some of you get an endorphin rush mixing salt. I dont.

I also have low water pressure making an RO unit problematic.

One of my regional pet stores sells pre mixed water for about the price as the OPs, and they have a ln impeccable reputation. If you trust the store go for it. Especially with a small tank.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily find used RO units too.

I used to mix my own in small batches between 1-5 gallons. It's super easy and consistent. I used a 5gallon bucket and put marks on it for the water level and then knew exactly how many scoops of salt. Very easy and consistent.

If you do go the LFS route, make sure to test the salinity when the water is the temp of you tank and not "room temp" at the LFS. Ask them what temp the water is when they test the salinity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iMi

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be surprised. Why not just use distilled water you already buy it to top off the tank? If you want to be extremely consistent but a digital scale for 10 bucks off Amazon and weigh the salt and use the same amount of water

It’s what I did to set it up. Just bought a RO/DI unit on Amazon. $60 and great reviews. It’s meant for aquariums as it only produces 50 gal a day. Perfect for me.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing this because you think you will get better consistency etc then I would not do it for that reason, very easy for you to get far better consistent water quality doing it yourself.
Do a search on here and you will see many accounts of LFS selling high tds water, salt water you can not test for TDS so you will never know. Inconsistent salinity etc

If you are doing it to save time and hassle then again it may not, travelling to collect water will soon get old.

I would either go for distilled water and add your own salt, or buy a rodi unit, not the 20gpd one as that will be very slow, go for either 50 or better the 75, it’s only a few $$$ more for the higher 50 or 75 membrane.

Saying all that if you are 100% the LFS water is good then go for it, just don’t trust it because they are ‘nice guys’ etc all LFS have nice people working there generally or they wouldn’t be open, but as said some can’t be trusted to sell decent water, some even try and sell used water!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing salt is a PITA. I swear some of you get an endorphin rush mixing salt. I dont.

I also have low water pressure making an RO unit problematic.

One of my regional pet stores sells pre mixed water for about the price as the OPs, and they have a ln impeccable reputation. If you trust the store go for it. Especially with a small tank.
I wouldn't say I "get a rush" from it. I simply want to maintain as much control as possible over what I put into my tank. ESPECIALLY when it comes to something as important as the water itself!!

LFS water can vary in all sorts of aspects. For instance, if your LFS sells water at 1.021 and you have to add salt to bring it up to your tanks needs, then you are buying salt and mixing anyway... where are you saving?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back