Buying Salt Water from LFS

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our local store offers pre-mixed salt water for $1 a gallon (and RO water for $0.50). Given that I am running a 10 gallon nano here, I think it might be a good idea to buy the salt water from them instead of mixing it myself. I use distilled water for top offs.

Seems like the large volume of water they have should make it more consistent, which is key. Any reason why I should not buy pre-mixed water from the store?
Others may say something different and I haven't read the whole post yet but let me tell you my whole life changed with making my own water honestly it seems overwhelming at first and maybe expensive, but it is the best way to go and overall less expensive when you factor in water quality and the salt mix plus your time to get it haul it home, you can make a mobil 5 gallon water changing kit on wheels and store it in a closet. You can make quality water on demand. I make 5 gallons in 26 minutes, the filters last forever if you do more searching and put the possibility of making your own water in your options you may change your life too! Thats my thoughts on yours

I’m Batman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whole life changed with making my own water
Sounds like RO/DI system won’t work for him with low water pressure.
Mix your own. Walmart purple cap is fine, alsways tested 0 TDS for me, Never had a problem. If you’re worried about contaminants use prime or Amquel plus maybe?

if you’re looking for consistency, trust no one but yourself when mixing water.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard using distilled water ( store bought) isn't the best idea because its condensed mainly off copper coils which ultimately can have traces of copper which can effect inverts, corals etc over time.. Definitely just go for the RODI.
Yes yes do not use any water from stores sold on a shelf your asking for trouble they store millions of gallons im sure stuff goes places in big facilities they don't mean to. Save your self some pain and make your own like a pro

Attachments

• 16133637762522422750643775081233.jpg
    16133637762522422750643775081233.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 41

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that copper coils are a thing of the past for distilled water. I'd still use rodi personally. Nothing like having 100% confidence in your source water.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course there's always one offs in this hobby but if you want the vast majority results, do what the majority do to get their results. That guy could do a million other things or just one this guy doesn't then the Walmart water doesn't work for him...right ;)make water do a few things you can control to make your system as stable as possible..

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course there's always one offs in this hobby but if you want the vast majority results, do what the majority do to get their results. That guy could do a million other things or just one this guy doesn't then the Walmart water doesn't work for him...right ;)make water do a few things you can control to make your system as stable as possible..

I agree make your own water if possible but distilled water is perfectly fine to use, it’s just a different way to purify the water, if the OP is considering buying water, why not suggest an alternative to the LFS, instead of just saying buy a rodi unit.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree make your own water if possible but distilled water is perfectly fine to use, it’s just a different way to purify the water, if the OP is considering buying water, why not suggest an alternative to the LFS, instead of just saying buy a rodi unit.
I do not recommend distilled water from the store no, I'd recommend going to a quality lfs because they should be processing their water to a standard for our hobby, sorry I'd buy from quality lfs first then I guess the r.o water mills that sell water by the gallon, then maybe store shelf water but all way, way behind a cheap r.o unit and a booster pump save up buy a unit do it right no regrets!(Rember this is just my opinion)

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo for all we know the di could contaminate the water and years down the road we'll all be using distilled. Seems like science has a long way to go before perfecting coral aquaculture. If they aren't using copper coils anymore whats wrong with distilled?

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo for all we know the di could contaminate the water and years down the road we'll all be using distilled. Seems like science has a long way to go before perfecting coral aquaculture. If they aren't using copper coils anymore whats wrong with distilled?
Nothing. Just a matter of trusting a big box store to provide a pure product consistently.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing. Just a matter of trusting a big box store to provide a pure product consistently.

as apposed to a busy LFS that has someone making water in the back room whilst trying to serve customers, remembering to change the filters regularly, flush the system etc etc

We just had someone on the forum the other day asking was it ok to buy used tank water from their LFS as the store was offering it to them for $200!!

A food shop has way more regulations to follow than a LFS.

OP
OP
iMi

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others may say something different and I haven't read the whole post yet but let me tell you my whole life changed with making my own water honestly it seems overwhelming at first and maybe expensive, but it is the best way to go and overall less expensive when you factor in water quality and the salt mix plus your time to get it haul it home, you can make a mobil 5 gallon water changing kit on wheels and store it in a closet. You can make quality water on demand. I make 5 gallons in 26 minutes, the filters last forever if you do more searching and put the possibility of making your own water in your options you may change your life too! Thats my thoughts on yours

Already sold. Ordered an RO/DI unit and plan on making my own.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get a ro filter to mix your salt yourself most Lfs water sucks and is not 0 TDS

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already sold. Ordered an RO/DI unit and plan on making my own.
What system did you get, there's a few ways to tweek your system for optimal performance and filter longevity. I have a tds meter before my d.i and it determines how long I flush the r.o membrane. so research research, and diy good move on getting the system!

16147291595607207580640042179249.jpg 16147291893455247321275895341154.jpg 1614729394512519963423824316255.jpg 1614729887654804491142310230446.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back