Buying saltwater from aquarium store?

jwilkey2468

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just set up a killer saltwater tank and was thinking of buying some saltwater for my tank from the aquarium store. Does anyone know how much this usually goes for per gallon? Has anyone ever had any bad experience with this? Is it worth going out and buying the buckets and lids for $56 then buying the water ontop of that? I have a 40 gal breeder so I will need around 40 gallons of saltwater

589CFD46-924E-4F2F-A561-297695EC3341.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
such a beautiful tank... all that effort and cost, and your not willing to spend a few more dollars on a rodi machine?

Not only is LFS water more expensive, but its also awkward to be lugging 5 gallon pails around town, you also dont know how they clean/maintain their equipment. You have to wait for LFS hours, what about emergencies? You still need freshwater so you will buy that seperately too?

There are too many benefits to having your own rodi machine to make water when you want. I cant think of even one benefit of buying it from the LFS.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things. I don't think you need $56 worth of buckets. I assume that's based on, what, 8 or 10 buckets. While it'll mean more trips to the LFS for the initial fill, after that one bucket will probably be plenty for a partial water change and maybe you'll want to keep 3 or 4 buckets on hand at any time.
In any case, I see people at my LFS buying salt (and RODI) water every time I'm there and it never made sense to me. Granted, not everyone has the space. But after the initial expense, and RODI filter is (I assume) much, much cheaper in the long run.

ETA, if you're in good with your LFS, you might even ask them if you can borrow a few buckets on the promise that you'll put the water in your tank and bring them right back (or bring them back the next day). They have so many buckets laying around, they may very well be okay with that. You'll still need some for water to keep on hand, I'm just thinking about the initial fill. Bring in a few of your own buckets and see if you can borrow the rest.

tylerczubachowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is $10 per 5 gallons at my local fish store. RO is $5 per 5 gallons. I was in the same dilemma where I wanted to buy buckets. It’s really up to you. I’m not sure how experienced you are but you can make your own saltwater too. I have bought multiple buckets for each only because gas is becoming expensive and I save in gas. And started to make my own saltwater. If you are new (which I’m assuming you are) it wouldn’t hurt to buy maybe 3 buckets each from your LFS. Then as you get some experience, make your own saltwater. My saltwater making kit only cost me about $26 which will last me about half a year.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank, and we share in your excitement! Now I say this just to round-out the conversation... it's more about what you "could" do and not necessarily what you "should do." (LOL) But if you live a long way from an LFS you could look for some cheap 85-cent gallon jugs of "distilled" water at your grocery store, and mix your own saltwater that way. But as others have said, the sooner you can get an RO/DI unit up and running the better off you will be for several reasons--not least of which will be convenience. Best wishes! :)

OP
OP
J

jwilkey2468

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good responses, I think I’m going to buy an RODI system and salt mix, but for the initial fill up I might just use the aquarium store saltwater. It’s guaranteed to be the correct salinity and I need a few buckets regardless. Does anyone have any good tips for coral placement? Best places to attach corals on the rock (on shelves etc.)? Should I cut the plug off? Where should I and where should I not place coral? All responses is appreciated!

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good responses, I think I’m going to buy an RODI system and salt mix, but for the initial fill up I might just use the aquarium store saltwater. It’s guaranteed to be the correct salinity and I need a few buckets regardless. Does anyone have any good tips for coral placement? Best places to attach corals on the rock (on shelves etc.)? Should I cut the plug off? Where should I and where should I not place coral? All responses is appreciated!
I like to keep all my new coral on frag racks in the lower portion of the tank for a week or two then move the rack up some then let it sit for a while. Then move to final spot… I try to move the frag rack to the height of the spot I want the coral to go so that the lighting is close to the same intensity.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been in a LFS and watched them tell a customer...sorry we're all out of water...you're dad came in earlier and bought the last of it...come back wednesday...this was on saturday....wouldnt be a great scenario if your tank had an emergency... many years ago (when my initial fill was tapwater, topoff was supermarket distilled, water changes were nutrisea) i decided to save money and buy lfs water instead and got cyano...switched back to nutrisea and it went away....cant say for sure if it was the waters fault wasnt testing anything back then but it all depends on how vigilant your LFS is and the level of LFS concern and intelligence varies greatly across this country...also have a buddy in Florida that uses nothing but LFS water and has no problems (other than physically dragging it home in his wheelchair accessible van)

OP
OP
J

jwilkey2468

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to keep all my new coral on frag racks in the lower portion of the tank for a week or two then move the rack up some then let it sit for a while. Then move to final spot… I try to move the frag rack to the height of the spot I want the coral to go so that the lighting is close to the same intensity.
Ok that way they get acclimated to the water conditions. Have you ever felt with anemones? I know they can move throughout the tank.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been in a LFS and watched them tell a customer...sorry we're all out of water...you're dad came in earlier and bought the last of it...come back wednesday...this was on saturday....wouldnt be a great scenario if your tank had an emergency... many years ago (when my initial fill was tapwater, topoff was supermarket distilled, water changes were nutrisea) i decided to save money and buy lfs water instead and got cyano...switched back to nutrisea and it went away....cant say for sure if it was the waters fault wasnt testing anything back then but it all depends on how vigilant your LFS is and the level of LFS concern and intelligence varies greatly across this country...also have a buddy in Florida that uses nothing but LFS water and has no problems (other than physically dragging it home in his wheelchair accessible van)
That’s good point you will need to make some water up for an emergency situation at some point. Whether it be 1 time a year or 1 time every ten years lol you need to have rodi and some salt on hand at all times(if not already have a bucket made up on hand ready)

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that way they get acclimated to the water conditions. Have you ever felt with anemones? I know they can move throughout the tank.
They certainly will move around (and then probably die) if you add them right now. Many people on here will tell you to wait for a year before buying anemones, and that they like mature tanks, and all of them are right. The exceptions are mini-maxi and rock flower anemones, which are much more forgiving of poor water parameters.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS should let you borrow buckets on first fill. Just get extra and put in a Brute. Saltwater where I live is $6 at one place and $3.50 at another. Since you’re just starting I would initially use their saltwater to keep things simple before you buy a RoDI.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s guaranteed to be the correct salinity
Nothing's guaranteed and in this case, even excluding any kind of mistake that caused it to be wrong, you have to remember it's going to be *their* salinity, which may or may not be what you want (though it's probably the same/close). I also assume, but don't know for sure, that you're getting unused water, not the same water that's circulating through any of their tanks.
Does anyone have any good tips for coral placement?
That's a topic that's not going to answerable within the scope of this thread. It's long, not the same for everyone and will contain a ton of anecdotal data (ie 'My torch is doing fine right in front of a power head'). What I usually do is google "[coral] placement" and check out the liveaquiria or tidalgardens links that pop up first. Change it to "[coral] placement site:reef2reef.com" and you'll find threads here from other people asking the same or similar questions.

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also something I didn't see mentioned here.

I learned the hard way that you can't always trust the water you get from your LFS. When I first started the hobby my LFS was selling me RODI water with a reading of over 450 TDS, and their saltwater parameters were all over the place with pH being super low and alk being 20+ dkh.

It's probably a really rare occurrence but after the fiasco I had with my LFS I'll never trust anyone but myself to make and mix the water that goes into my tank.

Once I started making and mixing my own water everything slowly fell into place and where they were supposed to be.

You can see my crazy parameter journey in this thread:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid 1.50/gallon for SW at the reef shop.

If you currently don't have the ability to make and mix salt water then yes it's worth it.

I personally advocate keeping close to 50% of your volume on hand in saltwater plus an additional 20% in RODI water. So after all is filled, you'll probably need 4 jugs of SW on hand and one or two fresh.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my tanks at 1.026. My LFS water is 1.018.... Not exactly the correct salinity. Check and adjust as needed.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not guaranteed to be the correct salinity. It’s not guaranteed that they change their filters as often as they should and that their water is 0 tds. Personally, I just don’t trust any LFS enough to handle such an important and integral part of a successful reef. It’s cheaper, by far, to make your own water. There is an initial expense, but a gallon of homemade RODI water costs around $0.05, salt can be anywhere from $0.20 to $0.60 per gallon, so for 5 gallon at most it’s going to cost you $3.25 (or as little as $1.25), compared to $10, for RODI it’s $0.25 vs $5.00 for 5 gallons. And not to get too cliché, but the peace of mind is priceless.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back