JackShane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’m new at Reef2Reef I have some questions for you all I’m an experienced FRESHWATER only hobbyist I been doing them for a long time, I have multiple tanks but I decided to “jump” to saltwater I’ll start small and then get very big down the line in 3 years after getting really comfortable but the small tank I’ll buy is the regular fluval EVO 13.5 tank I know basics of Saltwater aquariums but I never done one and I’ll start one soon I won’t add corals yet that’s for later and I already know coral things BUT I never owned my own saltwater tanks only managed friends but I wanted some other opinions because I like getting them, I was told in that tiny tank to get likely 2 clowns and MAYBE 2 small fish not big small like the fire dart ones and a shrimp such as pistol or cherry and snails I have shrimp and took care for them and that’s easy for me but for the 13.5 Fluval saltwater tank is it too much to have 2 clowns and 2 other 2 fellas? Would I overstock them poor souls? Because in videos, friends and some articles says it’s fine to have 4 on the tank like those I mentioned 2 clowns (percula) and 2 fire darts +Shrimp and Snails (later add coral too) so would I be overstocking or no?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side. First thing to know is that saltwater and freshwater hobby are nothing alike, you are starting a brand new hobby.

Personally I would put only 2 fish in a 13 gallon, probably 2 clowns. If you google tank size for a pair of clowns, the suggested size is 20 gallons. These fish are bought small, but will grow to 4" or 5"..... a 13 gallon with rocks and sand is about 11 gallons of water and swimming space, its too little. But everyone does it, but should not have more than 2 fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back