Buying used avoiding scams

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you go about protecting yourself buying used? I posted on a local reef board that I was looking to buy an MP60. Some replied that they had one and would sell it shipped for 180.00. Obviously that price is a red flag as he says it’s only 3 months old. I can pay via PayPal but if this guy ships me a box of rocks I really don’t have much recourse. Another red flag is that he’s brand new to the forum and has no other posts. I’d hate to miss out on a deal but this definitely sounding like a scam. is there a no risk method to conduct this deal?

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You already know that is a scam, a $780 pump for $180 and only a couple months old. Stick to buying on here, look and see if they have history of selling things and feedback if they have any, most people don't tend to leave feedback unless its bad.

gaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah worst comes to worst you just dispute it. That being said, I 100% think that it waaayyy too good to be true.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be on the look out for accounts with low number of posts sending you a message asking you to e-mail someone else. They claim that so and so has what you want to buy.

The sticky below has some guidance.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I put a wanted ad on here and received a few scam responses. They were fairly easy to spot as they were all new members, no post history, and asked to contact them direct via email.

Googling their email address picked up a couple of scammers. Another (which I had already reported to R2R) was outed by someone else on this forum.

I did get one response on an item that seemed too good to be true. However that poster had good history and had been a R2R member for several years. I took a chance and got a brand new item at a great price.

There are scammers out there, but there are also genuine people and bargains to be had. I always weigh up whether the risk is worth the reward before buying used (is $20 off $200 item really worth not buying from a store?). I also only spend what I can afford to lose if it all goes wrong.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s gotta be a scam. Pm‘d me asked me to text him. Asked a couple questions and never heard back.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's local, I'd ask to meet up. Hell a couple hour drive is worth a $600 savings in my book.

Or ask for photos proving he actually has it, like writing your name on a piece of paper next to the MP60.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back