Opinions on this used Red Sea setup?

  • Thread starter Thread starter reef.geek
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reef.geek

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Messages
115
Reaction score
31
Location
spain
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I came across this Red Sea aquarium setup that’s being sold for $100, which feels very cheap, so I’d love to get your opinions before I decide.
Here’s what the seller says it comes with:
Red Sea marine aquarium on a custom cabinet (looks like a Reefer series, not sure of the exact model).
  • Protein skimmer.
  • Thermostat + extra thermostat for pipe section.
  • Cooler (chiller).
  • Extra canister filter.
  • Separate UV filter.
  • 2 extra dry pumps that can be computer-controlled.
  • Extra hoses and various other accessories.
  • The cabinet underneath.
The seller says it was running fine before, and it just needs cleaning, saltwater, and setup.

👉 Do you think this is a good deal? Anything I should look out for (hidden issues, leaks, outdated equipment, etc.) before buying?

IMG_7716.jpeg
 
Just use the search engine on here… I haven’t seen that exact model explode but every other tank they make has.. hundreds of them..
 
I wouldn't. Noting the severity of the potential issue, it just ain't worth it in my opinion. I got a used set up (not Red Sea) that had been sitting around awhile. Set it up fully and ran with it. Six months later I had to replace the tank. And the skimmer. And half the powerheads. Now, that's not to say that you can score on certain peripherals used, but I wouldn't skimp on the tank. I know I'll never take that chance again.
 
Hard pass for me here my friend. Even if it was free. The reputation of redsea tanks is shown below. Maybe some models dont eventually leak, but there have been too many that did. Having to rehome and or replace loss livestock would negate any savings from the purchase.

Moses GIF by WMEvangelism
 
It looks a small setup, and doesn't appear to be rimless, so probably okay. It's the 500L+ rimless tanks that people have all the fun with.
 
Just use the search engine on here… I haven’t seen that exact model explode but every other tank they make has.. hundreds of them..
I found it, it’s a red sea max 250 c series.
 
It looks a small setup, and doesn't appear to be rimless, so probably okay. It's the 500L+ rimless tanks that people have all the fun with.
found the exact model, red sea max 250 c series
 
Hard pass for me here my friend. Even if it was free. The reputation of redsea tanks is shown below. Maybe some models dont eventually leak, but there have been too many that did. Having to rehome and or replace loss livestock would negate any savings from the purchase.

Moses GIF by WMEvangelism
I’ve read something similar about red sea tanks…
i currently own a 70L basic tank i build it myself and have it for 1,5 years. But i really wanted to upgrade ASAP because my Xenia seem to be dying and in general filtration is just bad and def wanted a protein skimmer. So i figured if i would have to purchase all the equipment i’m better if buying a bigger tank with equipment
 
I’ve read something similar about red sea tanks…
i currently own a 70L basic tank i build it myself and have it for 1,5 years. But i really wanted to upgrade ASAP because my Xenia seem to be dying and in general filtration is just bad and def wanted a protein skimmer. So i figured if i would have to purchase all the equipment i’m better if buying a bigger tank with equipment
It’s a gamble man… $100 for every thing is a great price don’t get me wrong… the tank is the only suspect in the deal.. I did a quick google search and didn’t find that particular model failing…
 
It’s a gamble man… $100 for every thing is a great price don’t get me wrong… the tank is the only suspect in the deal.. I did a quick google search and didn’t find that particular model failing…
It is a gamble for sure! I think this will be the case with used tanks anyway. Probably best to wait for more responses and decide from there because I’m not finding many bad reviews online either
 
the chiller might be a good thing. did they tell you who's skimmer? Might be able to use it as a QT hospital tank where you only "occasionally" need it.
 
I’m not finding many bad reviews online either
Look on Google or another search engine. I believe that Red Sea diminishes negative reviews on both their website and on Facebook.
 
Look on Google or another search engine. I believe that Red Sea diminishes negative reviews on both their website and on Facebook.
That wouldn't surprise me in the least. Although it didn't occur to me that this could be done. Then again, I AM a Boomer. Last time I was great with all things computer was when they were running DOS 6.22!
 
That wouldn't surprise me in the least. Although it didn't occur to me that this could be done. Then again, I AM a Boomer. Last time I was great with all things computer was when they were running DOS 6.22!
I'm not far behind 🤪

Good to hear for you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new