Buying used tanks?

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your opinion on buying used tanks? Do you worry about how old the tank is, or for how long it’s been sitting in storage after it’s been broken down? Obviously your concerned about what shape the tank is in like if there are any chips or scratches. But when Or how do you determine if you should pass up a used tank? I see so many tempting ads on tanks.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can always give us a heads up if you are going to look at one and post pics. I'm always amazed at what people catch in pics.

Zos4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had many used tanks.look at the silicone and see if its cracked. If not good to go .if it is and its something you really want you can reseal it. Its work but can be done

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All of my tanks have been used too. My biggest concern is if they have been stored, were there big temp fluctuations?

austenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% don’t speak for every used tank, but I got a bad Biocube and never had success with it. I don’t know what it was, my LFS or anyone online could figure it out. But I’m sure I just got unlucky

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used tanks can be a great way to get into the hobby at a discount. When I was younger and first getting into the hobby, all my tanks were used. I never had any leaking issues, although that is a risk with a used tank.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be great to start up low cost, or you could be getting someone elses neglected and improperly maintained tank. Inspect that silicone thoroughly. I had purchased a used tank and missed a real hack patch job the owner had done on the silicone. I didn't even bother filling it and junked it.

I've sold several used tanks, with the only defects being minor scratches over years worth of cleanings.

Overall, age is not a major issue (sounds like I'm writing an online dating ad) as the silicone can last decades. But I would lean towards tanks 10 years or less. Storage is important, you don't want it having been stored out in a freezing garage or outside. It likely would be okay, but those elements are rough. If there are obvious signs of lack of caring....like major scratches on glass or even trim, I would pass.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have bought several used tanks in the past I probably would not again. The exception would be if it's unused as in not setup or barely setup. Most standard sized tanks go on sale at some point and a custom tank that was not made for you is not custom for you, so you should not pay the price most people want for them. If its amazing deal and you inspect the tank fine.

When I had my 180 I got it used, it was really cheap I think I payed $250 or less for it. It looked good in person but under the coraline that was all over it including the front were tons of little scratches. While it was still usable I found it annoying. I also had to move it twice, plus it was moved by the original owner. It did not survive the last move.

If you are on a tight budget I'd suggest either waiting for a sale or going for a smaller sized tank. Again unless we are talking custom everything else is going to cost more then the glass tank itself.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have dealt with a lot of used tanks. Always leak test if at all possible or buy it at a price where you assume it leaks.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used tanks are just that. Used. 1st question to ask is why is it not up and running. I bought a lot of used tanks over the years. For me, its how much is the tank worth as to how much work it might require. Polishing out a used acrylic tank can take time. Taking apart and resealing a glass tank is a bit more work.

Rockit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a used equipment fan..... but I'm also a diy/repurpose fan too. Other than 2, 5 gallon QT tanks, ALL my tanks were purchased used. 20, 65, 75 and 200. My 20t sump has partitions fro. glass I harvested from a free 75 that I found at the curb. My 75 was free (my only acrylic tank) because it was super *****.... super scratched (an automotive buffing wheel and baking soda got 90% of the scratches out?. Works excellent as a rock cure tank/growout/hospital/holding facility.
I paid $500 for my 200, a custom tank with all low iron glass. Custom 100 g sump, stand, circulation pumps and mp40's, skimmer, led lights, doser, heaters, UV about 400 lbs of rock... literally EVERYTHING. Heck, a refractometer and a new jar of Reef Roids were included. (Divorce sale. I had cash and the ability to remove it from the house that night.) I set it up I'm my back yard with old tank water and let it run for a couple months before I moved it inside. Other than dirty AF and minor weeping around the bearing of the Reeflo pump, zero issues.

I've gotten skimmers, wavemakers, lights, Hanna checkers, tanks, etc. etc. used.
B
My thinking is.... if it looks like a GREAT deal and I show up and it doesn't look absolutely misused, buy it. If it's something I can plug in and check, I do. Otherwise I'll gamble and figure I can fix or repurpose. I have a Eheim return pump that only moves water on demand in my mixing station because it stalls sometimes and needs to be jostled to start flowing again..... and literally ALL my heaters are so far off I would never consider running one w/o a Ranco ETC.

Buy used and spend more $$ on livestock

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first 75 was used. It lasted me 5 years until I decided I wanted to upgrade things. It was full of water when I went to pick it up. I don't think I would buy a used dry tank if they weren't willing to have it full to show me it held water.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also have all used tanks. 125/265. Got them for a really god price. 125 just needed resealing which wasn’t bad. But my 265 needed to be completely rebuilt which was a task I was willing to take considering the price I got it for and how good of shape it was in. So if you wanna save money and doubt mind a little elbow grease you’ll be satisfied saving money and buying other equipment.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive never actually bought a brand new tank always buy used never had any issues i just make sure i check for leaks before i start my build

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone will fail when it’s old. In my experience my custom 65 gal was set up and running from 1998-2007(9 years). During this time the tank was emptied and moved 3 times. After this I upgraded to a 120 and left the 65 empty inside the house in the A/C until 2013(6 yrs). At this point the silicone beads on the inside were deteriorating, so I razored the beads out, cleaned and reapplied the silicone on the inside. I set up tank again and after 51/2 years, it suddenly sprung a leak between the front and bottom panes. I was able to save all the livestock, as the leak was slow. I ended up replacing the custom aquarium with a new one. So, my point is this. Some tank manufacturers put the date the tank was built on the bottom, check this. Secondly, you might not know what stressors the previous owner placed on the tank, (moving, stored in heat or cold, how long was it setup, etc.) Last, as was with my case, a repair to a silicone bead on the inside does only so much as to better seal the tank. It does not give the repaired tank overall structural strength. That is dependent on the silicone between the panes of glass, not the bead you repaired on the inside. The bigger the tank, the greater the force of water acting upon it. I learned from experience and a professional tank builder which confirmed what I’m saying. The proper way to do it is to carefully disassemble the tank and rebuild it again. If you chip the edges upon taking it apart, as I did, it’s trash.

OP
OP
A

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 36 bow front I have now I got used but it was up and running when I picked it up. I was looking into buying an sca 100g and had the money for it but I broke three bones in my Foot. surgery for renal cell cancer and my father in law passing away it’s been a rough year for my family. For this reason I’ve been looking at ads for used tanks. I live in New York so the main concerns are the fluctuation in weather and tanks stored where there’s no temp control. I guess I look for tanks recently broken down. Thanks for all your help!

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the exception of one, I've always bought used tanks but always from folks that had it set up when I came by to take a look. Seeing one with water should mitigate some of the issues.

OP
OP
A

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate for everyone’s help on this matter but I managed to save up enough coin. And just purchased a 100g sca tank 100x20x24. Just wanted to let everybody know since I’ve seen a lot of threads started but never finished and you end up in limbo wondering what ever happened. Hopefully I’ll be able to start a tank thread. Again thank you everyone!

Borg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought a 125 gallon used.
got it home noticed a crack on bottom trim. leaks.
seller no where to be found.

paid 200 with a fluvial fx-6
lesson learned. Should have bought new .

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back