Bye Bye Filter socks

Lear31a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was sick of the cleaning and changing of my filter socks. Found a company online that makes drop in cups to replace the socks. Will be running filter floss in the cup, and will only need to change out the floss as needed. Time will tell if its a smart move, but had to make a change over the socks.
Company sells 4in and 7in cups. Different colors and flow rates as well. Shipping was super fast to my front door. Pricing was not bad $13. high flow 4in. And $4. Med flow 4in.

Update forgot to put were filtermediacup.com

thumbnail_IMG_1290.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1291.jpg

Last edited:

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got ready of the socks a while back. The filter cup with Walmart filter floss for the pillow is way better than socks and less expensive.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I have with the floss is that it sometimes causes my water to take some time to get through the system as the floss is there. Usually just means it’s time to change it but then that usually irritates my skimmer

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a pretty cool concept. So how much filter floss do you put into each cup? Which cup design works best? How long does filer floss last before you have to throw out?

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better yet, install Klir DI 4/7 or Clarisea roller filters. 45 days of no roll changes etc. plus, trapped food still decays whether cup or sock, but roller filter pulls it waste out right away. Dollar for dollar, the best investment I have made in my tank. Details are the build thread below.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer no cup or filter sock. I use a sock for a day once a month when I stir things up. Otherwise just suction up stuff in a quiet place in the sump near return when doing a water change. I hope to find a balance and be lazy.

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from cups to floss for a few months, but I noticed a lot of stuff got by the floss and ended back up in the display tank. I did end up switching back to socks and change them out every 3 days. Waited for a BOGO deal from BRS and order like 20 socks. I just put them in a bucket under the sump stand and wash them every week or so.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy that white and blue filter media in 6 x 2 foot sheets. Cut off a 2 ft x 4" strip, roll it up so it makes a funnel and stick it in my plastic insert concave side up . Lasts 3-7 days, throw it away, and put in new. Pad is about $15, lasts about 3 months.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did this and quickly went back to socks. With my newest tank I went to mesh and it is so easy to clean by hand and takes me 5 minutes. Just bought 10 More !!

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter cups for me also. Mine are acrylic. A $5 bag of polyfil lasts me a few months filling 4 cups 2x a week. I'm also too lazy to empty my skimmer cup so since we go thru a gallon of milk a week I just swap out the jugs, ha.

PSX_20191130_141944.jpg

Last edited:

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using mesh socks now and although you still have to clean them they're a lot easier and quicker to clean than felt. Don't need to throw them in the washing machine because they can be easily cleaned in the sink with running water.

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using mesh socks now and although you still have to clean them they're a lot easier and quicker to clean than felt. Don't need to throw them in the washing machine because they can be easily cleaned in the sink with running water.

What is the micro level on the mesh?

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those 18 oz. SOLO cups fit in the 4" sock holders. I saw a Diy thread in here on it. If you need more help for the fine particles you can cut out a filtersock to fit the bottom of the cup and put the floss on top of that.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the first designs with holes only in the bottom, looks like he added the side slots for additional flow. I like to use Tunze macro wadding. It allows for better flow since I have 20x going through the sump.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back