Bypass jebao controller, program via apex

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got tired of the junky jebao wavemaker controllers and all the clutter from having 4 pumps on the tank. I also wanted better control over wave patterns and intensity throughout the day. So I decided to make a wiring harness to allow me to use the 0-10v variable ports to control the jebaos and completely bypass the jebao controllers altogether.

I did some testing with a volt meter and figured out which wires did what. So there is a 24v power wire (tan), a ground (blue), and a 0-5v variable (yellow). The controller on its lowest setting produces 2.8v, at its highest setting it produces 4.9v.

I then used a network cable to plug into the variable speed port on my apex. I played around with profile settings until I figured out what percentage gave me 2.8v (27%) and what percentage gave me 4.9v (48%). This gave me a starting range for programming.

I know from looking at their adapters you can buy, that 1 power supply can run 2 pumps. So I took 1 power supply, and cut off the end. I spliced the red power wire to the tan wire on each pump. I then spliced the black ground wire to the ground on the network cable, and then to the blue wire on each pump. Finally, I spliced the yellow wire on the pumps to the variable output wires on my network cable coming from the apex. Everything was soldered and adhesive heat shrink was applied for water resistance.

Once I had that done and everything plugged in, I played around with intensity percentage until I found the lowest percent that would still turn the pump on (8%).

I decided I will probably use 10% as my minimum threshold, and 48% as my maximum threshold.

Now it is just a matter of writing all the profiles I want to create. I did run a few test profiles before calling it a night. Everything appears to be working perfectly. I have 4 pumps total. So I made 2 harnesses that both run 2 pumps each. Each individual pump is controllable. I thought about piggy backing 2 pumps so as not to use up all my variable ports, but I like the idea of independent control over each pump so thats what I decided on.

Overall it wasn't too bad of a project, and would have only cost me a network cable, but I decided to add in some extra 3 way connectors closer to the pump heads to make taking them out of the tank for maintenance easier. I don't remember what I paid for the connectors, they were cheap on ebay or Amazon. They look almost identical to the stock Jebao connectors but are slightly different.

I also could have just cut the connector off the controller instead of buying the extra connectors, but doing it this way allows me to sell the controllers, or keep one around incase my apex craps out on me.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them. Going to bed now, and tomorrow ill tackle all the programming.

20200408_213905.jpg 20200408_205849.jpg 20200408_200901.jpg 20200402_121125.jpg

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, makes me want to do the same with a Raspberry Pi.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up. I've been trying to think of a way to control multiple pumps with a stand alone controller. It didn't occur to me to split the wires between control and power supply. I don't have an apex so I'll have to see about a programmable controller of some kind.

OP
OP
C

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sat down this morning and wrote multiple wave profiles to run based on time of day. Sometimes I have the pumps synced, sometimes they are opposed, different intensities and pulse durations. I am really liking the random flow patterns. Stirring up some junk, so this obviously helped with some dead spots. Overall I am very happy with the results.

cnidus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sat down this morning and wrote multiple wave profiles to run based on time of day. Sometimes I have the pumps synced, sometimes they are opposed, different intensities and pulse durations. I am really liking the random flow patterns. Stirring up some junk, so this obviously helped with some dead spots. Overall I am very happy with the results.

Can you post the profiles / code you used? Im interest in the timings to see if I can do something similar with reef-pi :)

OP
OP
C

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I screen shot the wave profiles, and here is how I coded the pumps. I did them in pairs. 2 pumps run the same program.

Far left pump and middle right pump:
Fallback Wave1
Set Wave1
If Time 07:00 to 10:00 Then Duskdawn
If Time 10:01 to 10:30 Then OFF
If Time 14:00 to 16:00 Then Wave2
If Time 16:01 to 18:00 Then Wave3
If Time 18:01 to 18:04 Then Constant
If Time 18:05 to 22:00 Then Duskdawn
If Time 22:01 to 06:59 Then Nightwave

Far right pump and middle left pump:
Fallback Wave1B
Set Wave1B
If Time 14:00 to 16:00 Then Wave3
If Time 16:01 to 18:00 Then Wave2
If Time 19:30 to 20:00 Then OFF

I have a short period of them being off because my foxface and my kole tang will go to town cleaning them while they are off haha.

For my tank, I found that anything over 31% blows sand everywhere. Which you have to keep in mind that the jebao only use 0-5v for control, and 48% gave me 4.9v, so 48% is pretty much max speed on these pumps.

Screenshot_20200409-210645_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200410-082801_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200410-082818_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200410-082837_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200410-082855_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200410-082908_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200410-082924_Chrome.jpg

Neo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring this from the dead but I'm struggling with this!
I have 2 powerheads (RW8) connected to Jebao Apex module and then to my Apex 2016. they used to work perfectly.
but now every time the program change a profile, the powerhead stops and doesn't run again until I repower the module!
i.e
Fallback Wave1
Set Wave1
If Time 10:01 to 10:30 Then OFF
If Time 14:00 to 16:00 Then Wave2
If Time 16:01 to 18:00 Then Wave3

when the apex moves from Wave2 to Wave3 the powerheads stop!
even though the profiles are sat over 35%
I tried to change the programming to make it ON/OFF instead of profiles, and it worked. its just doesn't work with profiles.
oh, also it doesn't work when you set the wizard curve setup for the variable outlet.
any idea what am I missing here?
TIA

Lucaszoll65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this post! My Jebao to apex adapter quit working after I put an OW-10 Wavemaker on it. Luckily I had all the old controllers to be able to come up with a solution. There isn't any adapters for sale online that I could find and your build has a lot less cables laying around and is more custom. I utilized your instructions and now everything is up and running via the apex again.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am planning to make one of these and was wondering if you remember the spec on the waterproof connectors you got. I am actually going to be connecting to a JEREPET wavemaker and maybe my JEREPET return pump too. I will need to decode the voltages for both similar to what you did for the Jebao. Thanks for this excellent writeup.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note, the variable voltage control only works with the older Jebao pumps where the "brains" (brushless motor driver) are in the pump. The three leads are 24vdc, ground, and 0-5v control. The newer Jebaos with the "SINE wave" controls moved the brains to the controller, the three wires going to the pump are the brushless motor leads. You have to drive them with a brushless motor control.

Also, an APEX to Jebao adapter is available ready made for the older pumps.

Its really just a voltage divider that converts the 0-10v out of the APEX to the 0-5v for the Jebao. The advantage to this is the you can use the full range out of the APEX for better control resolution.

Gary

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the heads-up. Guess I'll need to do more research for the JEREPET pumps I have.

I know in the RC-car/plane/boat world we work to minimize the controller to motor lead length for some reason or another (I'd have to re-research) so moving the electronic speed controller (esc) to the controller is counterintuitive for me.
Also, wouldn't it change the performance If someone added an extension to their pump wire?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I may try an RC car speed controller I have laying about. :D
I have lower hanging fruit for my tank now that the difficulty of tying in my wavemaker and pump has increased.
Need to learn how to use my new to me Apex Classic first for instance.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have one of these on my desk to try out eventually. Its a BLDC (BrushLess DC) controller, should work with the sinewave generation jebao motors. Only real difference is 0-5v control on this board versus 0-10v.

Very cool. Good DIY writeup if you can get it to work! I'll keep an eye out!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may try an RC car speed controller I have laying about. :D
I have lower hanging fruit for my tank now that the difficulty of tying in my wavemaker and pump has increased.
Need to learn how to use my new to me Apex Classic first for instance.
Ive been using a apex classic for just over 5 yesrs now, once you get the programming down, its a total set it and forget it.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that the basic BL motor controllers, like the one show in this thread, are not optimized for the Jebao wave makers, and do not drive them with the same power/efficiency and the Jebao drivers. I also have experience in the RC world and have thought of using one of those BL controllers (ESC). I would opt for one that will let you run a configurable firmware, like BLheli_32, this would give you some control over the setup. The problem with the RC stuff is that you will need an added converter board to go from the 0-10V out of the APEX to the PPM input on the RC ESC. Something like this should work:

Back