Ca, ALK,MAG?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jgomez324
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jgomez324

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 28, 2012
Messages
415
Reaction score
27
Location
Fresno, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I been Testing to try to figure out dosing. Is the goal to keep the Ca, ALK and MAG in range between weekly water changes or is it to keep it at a set number daily? Example Ca 480 Alk 10 Mag 1300 daily or just in range. Like Ca 400-500 Alk 8-12 Mag 1250-1500.
 
I saw MUCH improved growth when I kept my numbers stable. I've been keeping alk stable by dosing baking soda in my ATO for a long time but I was letting my Calcium fall and it would bump back up with water changes. Since I started dosing Calcium with a BRS dosing pump my growth has much improved. I even try to match my tank parameters as close to my newly mixed saltwater as I can. Alkalinity is especially important to keep stable. You don't want it fluctuating too quickly up or down even in acceptable ranges. Stability will promote better health and growth.
 
Last edited:
Yah as ^he^ said, stability is the key. I try to stay as close to NSW as I can, ~8dKH alk, 400ppm calcium, ~1350ppm mag. I also dose daily using a Bubble Magus triple doser and it keeps my params rock steady. Up until I got the doser, I used kalk in my ATO and lots of WCs. Now i just do 1 or 2 WCs a month and my tank is as healthy as ever :D
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new