Cabinet reinforcing

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI, today I noticed that the stand where my Waterbox cube 20 is placed on -- is weighing in at the middle.

The stand is a different brand (Juwel) solution for one of their aquariums, and since the Waterbox cabinets are quite pricy, I tried going with the cheaper one.
Now: the Juwel stand (70x50) is bigger than the actual tank (45x45), which results in the cube being placed all the way to right Apparently resulting in a not even distribution of weight across the surface. (should of thought of that before, welp)

20210417_163007.jpg

I contacted a friend, who advised me buying a new top (thicker and stronger) as a replacement to the current. That's a solutuon to the problem, but I was wondering if there would be more? I'm not sure how easy it would be to apply some sort of skelet structure to it. Or anything else I guess.
Tips, advise?

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a center brace since the stand is wider than the tank. Stands usually support the 4 corners of the tank because that is where majority of the weight bearing is. But if a tank is 48" or wider than usually a center brace is also needed to prevent the center from sagging.

Last edited:

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mav pretty much summed it up for you. Center brace to distribute the load where the tank edge is.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, a center brace is needed to support the tank on all 4 corners. That stand was not designed for a tank of those dimensions as is. Unfortunately that means taking the tank down if it is already sagging to get it back level.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two braces across the bottom of shelf from side to side will carry the load fine

OP
OP
M

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies all!

You need a center brace since the stand is wider than the tank. Stands usually support the 4 corners of the tank because that is where majority of the weight bearing is. But if a tank is 48" or wider than usually a center brace is also needed to prevent the center from sagging.
Mav pretty much summed it up for you. Center brace to distribute the load where the tank edge is.
Agreed, a center brace is needed to support the tank on all 4 corners. That stand was not designed for a tank of those dimensions as is. Unfortunately that means taking the tank down if it is already sagging to get it back level.

Given that I'm a hardware leek. A state where I can do some (intro-level)basic hardware (where I can easily fix IT systems; the irony) adjustments -- is that something I would be capable of fixing myself? that is, whilst not ruining the stand at the same time haha.

Two braces across the bottom of shelf from side to side will carry the load fine

As in, under the top-level surface? Do you also mean something like this?

Screenshot_20210418_021742.png

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell if you want Ed you could simply stack books up the middle of the cabinet until they where flush with your top lol. What material is the stand made of, and how thick is it?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would disagree. Looks like that center shelf comes out. Center bracing could be installed and the shelf notched to accommodate then shelf reinstalled with the tank still on the top.

Your measurements will need to be precise.

prdubois

Check out my 225gal: https://www.reef2reef.com/th
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to put in support here where the red line is. 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood glued together on each shelf would do it

1618706096690.png

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies all!

Given that I'm a hardware leek. A state where I can do some (intro-level)basic hardware (where I can easily fix IT systems; the irony) adjustments -- is that something I would be capable of fixing myself? that is, whilst not ruining the stand at the same time haha.

As in, under the top-level surface? Do you also mean something like this?

Screenshot_20210418_021742.png
Something like this

076BE4B4-5204-4E74-BD55-FD5CD7B41578.jpeg

One approximately across front of tank, another across back. Couple of screws, maybe glue.

OP
OP
M

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell if you want Ed you could simply stack books up the middle of the cabinet until they where flush with your top lol. What material is the stand made of, and how thick is it?
Material wise, no clue tbh. Tried Googlin the specific model & brand, but didn't learn much.
Not sure about the material therefore; some form of particle? which "should" hold 700kg.

Thanks for the book tip haha. Will keep that one in mind.

I would disagree. Looks like that center shelf comes out. Center bracing could be installed and the shelf notched to accommodate then shelf reinstalled with the tank still on the top.

Your measurements will need to be precise.

Correct, the shelf is easily detachable. And, regarding the precise operation: I might need to call my grandpa for that, he can surely fix it perfect up.

You need to put in support here where the red line is. 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood glued together on each shelf would do it

1618706096690.png

Thanks for pointing it visually it out. Until this series of comments I still wasn't really sure what they meant.
As in: could it be <n> single bars applied / etc.

Something like this

076BE4B4-5204-4E74-BD55-FD5CD7B41578.jpeg

One approximately across front of tank, another across back. Couple of screws, maybe glue.

My English-- and it's translations to Dutch still fail me sometime haha. Makes more sense that you would mean something like this.
I will look into it, for this might be the easiest solution for the moment I believe.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@meta It looks to me like the cabinet also has four feet or runners down each side? If so, you need to add a center support BELOW the bottom shelf to transfer the weight all the way to the floor.

20210417_163007.jpg

Last edited:

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving it a bit more thought...
Personally, I like the way you have the tank shifted to one side. I'd keep it that way and add two vertical supports and two feet (or one long spacer) at the blue positions instead of the yellow.

20210417_163007.jpg

Last edited:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me, I would replace the cabinet top with a piece of butcher block. It is a little pricy, and will require you to move the actual tank, but in the long run it will solve your issue and last longer than the tank.

The center bracing idea mentioned above is a "band-aid" fix. From the picture you posted, your cabinet bottom panel is off the floor. You would need to add bracing under there as well in order for it to be stable. Add to that that center bracing will also not match your cabinet, but also take up valuable space??? Well I guess the question is "What are you willing to live with?".

For the best long term result, I would use 2 pieces of "L" metal about 2x2x whatever the depth of your cabinet is and replace the top with butcher block.

OP
OP
M

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@meta It looks to me like the cabinet also has four feet or runners down each side? If so, you need to add a center support BELOW the bottom shelf to transfer the weight all the way to the floor.

20210417_163007.jpg

Giving it a bit more thought...
Personally, I like the way you have the tank shifted to one side. I'd keep it that way and add my two vertical supports and two feet (or one long spacer) at the blue positions instead of the yellow.

20210417_163007.jpg

Thanks for taking your time to brainstorm it even more over. Appreciated!

If it was me, I would replace the cabinet top with a piece of butcher block. It is a little pricy, and will require you to move the actual tank, but in the long run it will solve your issue and last longer than the tank.

The center bracing idea mentioned above is a "band-aid" fix. From the picture you posted, your cabinet bottom panel is off the floor. You would need to add bracing under there as well in order for it to be stable. Add to that that center bracing will also not match your cabinet, but also take up valuable space??? Well I guess the question is "What are you willing to live with?".

For the best long term result, I would use 2 pieces of "L" metal about 2x2x whatever the depth of your cabinet is and replace the top with butcher block.

Given the price I paid for the cabinet (e140) + the addition of a buchter block (which is not cheap in Belgium (when I tried finding one for my standing desk it was hell) + the requirement to work the wood and make it pretty --> adds to the price too.

Luckily there is still a possibility where I can retour the cabinet (and get the whole sum back)
And now I found a WB C20 cabinet for 250 Inc shipping, I might just opt for that.

But if the retour is a NOK, I will surely (try) to apply the given methods and tips to the best of my budget and capabilities.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back