Another Waterbox Cube 20 Build Thread

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score

"Another" Waterbox Cube 20 Build Thread

About me
I'm a 26yo IT student from Belgium, and this will be my first (fresh/salt-based-)aquarium.​
Ever since I was little I always had cats around -- and for the later part of my life, a lovely dog too.​
Fish / corals are however something completely new to me.​
So expect a lot of fuk ups, giggles and laughs as time will pass.​
The reason for this is thread is simple. I'd like it to be a way for me;​
  1. Document and narrate my doings
  2. Serve as a source for information / help for others (other build threads were an immense source of information to me)
  3. Receive input / advice / help

Inventory (as of 26/04/2021)
b.png

aa.png

c.png

a.png

The beginning
And to summarize for now: I failed in creating -- starting a build thread on a timely matter → given I'm already on the 15th cycle day.​
Lucky for me, I took a lot of pictures along the way; and gladly will be starting from the beginning until now.​

20210426_190539(1).jpg

Last edited:
AS
OP
M

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The last package to be received was also the one which included the rocks. What this meant, was that I finally could attempt my own rockwork. Foolishness I thought it would be easy, couldn't be that hard. That state of thought changed rather quick haha.

I tried, and I kept on trying until something finally looked (semi) good and called it a night.

20210408_224203.jpg

The next day, I tried recreating it in the tank -- but I didn't felt it any more.

Some more time passed and something completely different took place.

20210409_005507(1).jpg

And some more time (and epoxy) later, this was the result.

20210409_213729.jpg

20210409_213537.jpg

It didn't resembled much of the earlier formations, but I liked it.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen the RO water was being processed (as what looked like a ghetto dialysis-setup), with the 65L mark almost nearing.

IMG_20210410_093111_282.jpg

Installed all the tech. Applied the specific amount of salt, and again called it a night.

The nex day I prepared the AquaForest Bio sand and gently let it populate the tank.

20210413_125053.jpg

20210413_125259(1).jpg

It finally looked like an aquarium, and per my opinion -- a pretty one.
And to top it off, one in my living room. Childhood dream achieved ya.

Now I only needed the Red Sea Mature Pro kit, and the cycling could begin.

Last edited:
OP
M

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
As the days passed, I began to question the rockwork.
This because I didn't really plan ahead with corals / fish in mind.
While one cave was a given. I wasn't sure there would be enough hiding spaces or spots for the future to be fishies.​
The same was appliable for corals. I hadn't done enough research to know: that a lot of softies I dig, tend to be invasive in a sense. And with the current rock-structure in mind, there were no separate islands or clusters to be found.​
And as the following days went by, I felt more worse / insecure about the actual scape. Seeing all those dope and sleek designs on R2R didn't help much either haha. In my opinion: I felt like my scape was a (big giant blob) artificial attempt -- where I rather would have liked something more minimalistic / design(y).​
It probably didn't help a lot either, that the stones I ordered (10kg) came in 4 pieces -- that of course in combination with the limitations of a 20gal box.​
However, weeping wasn't an option, I still could attempt to fix it.​
20210428_130024.jpg
20210428_130048.jpg
20210428_130308.jpg

Another D.D epoxy stick / epoxy cloud attack later:​
And while I'm still not 100% okay with it. At least I created some more coral surface haha.​
Question: do you think the island would be sufficient for Zoas, Xenia or GSP to grow on?​
  1. Light-wise (AI Prime HD)
  2. Surface; given it's mostly smallish rocks / rubble buried -- placed together.

OP
M

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted anything, life got a tad busy.

Having a saltwater aquarium has been an adventurous journey. A 3-month cycle. Undergone (still) an ich infestation. Setting up a HT. Almost losing my firefish (immense copper sensitivity). And currently battling the uglies.
But having a saltwater aquarium also has been such a ******* nice thing to happen -- and I can't wait to see it progress.

20210725_204753.jpg

20210725_205514.jpg

20210725_213725.jpg

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Do you care whether or not you have wave action in your reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 175 43.1%
  • SOMEWHAT

Votes: 106 26.1%
  • NO

Votes: 120 29.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 1.2%
MAX OUT