Cadavers, shells, skeletons, take it or leave it.

  • Thread starter Thread starter basile
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

basile

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 19, 2013
Messages
723
Reaction score
87
Location
Gatineau/Ottawa canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0



Taking out a shrimp skeleton out of the tank, suddenly realised that many of my cerith snails shells where empty.


Bit annoyed really, i took them out as well, and wondering if others do the same, if its better to leave them there, for any reason at all, or like me i like to know that if its there its alive.....


The same goes for the shrimp skeleton should i leave it there to be food for critters or is it good maintenance to take it out.


In my refugium i like to keep it mostly orderly , but leave the little bits there, just in case disaster, and your main shrub dies or becomes prey to what ever , you still have , small bits to pick up with. Learned that one very quickly and saved me from ordering again.


468.jpg



I should point out that my tank is a no hermith zone, they've clean me out too many times of snails and then kill each other out. So i only have snails, urchins, conch, serpent star, starfish, and other cleaners that don't prey on one another. Emeral crab are the only ones i have. And never seen them attack any of my snails.


So whats your take on this ?


I write big for my iphone friends






​
 
Last edited:
I typically remove Shrimp molts but always leave empty Snail shells, either for Hermits or pod/Mysis Shrimp reproduction. I'm willing to guess that your 'Conch' is eating the Ceriths. My 'Tongas' Nassarius Snails have eaten around a 100 or more Ceriths and Nassarius vibex. Actually interesting to watch them hunt down and capture them, then to release an empty shell a few minutes later.


Cheers, Todd
 
my mp10 eats my dwarf ceriths :xd:

I leave shells, I may gather them and put them back behind my rocks or whatever but I don't take them out.. I don't have shrimp molts anymore, my old camels jumped out of my last tank and my skunk died just before the upgrade :( and I'm too cheap to buy another $30 cleaner shrimp lol...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new