CADLights

Eric_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, glad to join the forum. Eagerly looking to get back into building a new tank. Been about 7 years since I sold my 14 gal nano.

Got a quote from CADLights for the tank only.

68G Versa - $550 for tank only, delivered.

Anyone here have good experience with their tanks? Roughly the same size at Glasscages for almost double the price.

If you guys have suggestions, I am all ears. I would like something that is 36 inches long as it will fit in our living room better. I want low iron and rimless glass.

What tank would you buy if building a new reef aquarium?

Thanks again,

Eric

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCAquariums has a good reputation. If your local store can order it Deep Blue Professional seems ok as well. Just be sure to get prices on everything with shipping if applicable and make sure to compare the same features. For example for glass cages make sure you add starfire and reef ready and shipping (If that is what the cadlights is). I bet it's right about the same price - I just added those options to one of GC rimless 65g tanks and the total was over $550. And if you want to buy a stand instead of make one consider that too as odd sizes of tank limits what you can buy off the shelf.

OP
OP
E

Eric_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info and yes, you are correct. Will keep it in mind.

Currently waiting on a quote from the LFS but am leaning toward the CADLight (tank only) as the size and price is good. Going to build my own cabinet as I have no excuse with all the tools in my garage.

OP
OP
E

Eric_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea. I will do my best to remember a build thread.

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a CAD Lights Artisan 100 and it is a well built tank. Careful with the plumbing though. It is cheap, metric, and not easily replaceable. If you are getting a custom quote, make sure you specify standard hole sizes for the bulkheads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Eric_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the newer 70g artisan, very nice but much more expensive and, back ordered and wouldn't sell the tank apart from the kit.

Good to know about the plumming. I will mention that in the order.

I was also planning in running colored pvc instead of the flexible tubing.

How do you like the glass thickness difference. Is there much difference between the 10mm and the 12mm?

OP
OP
E

Eric_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a CAD Lights Artisan 100 and it is a well built tank. Careful with the plumbing though. It is cheap, metric, and not easily replaceable. If you are getting a custom quote, make sure you specify standard hole sizes for the bulkheads.

Curious if you like the cabinet and the skimmer that was included with your kit? I was looking at the 70g and may pull the trigger on it as it seems like a decent purchase and a huge time saver since I wouldn't have to build a stand.

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Artisan cabinet was decent. The I didn't get the skimmer because I wanted a different one.
Overall very pleased with the setup. My only complaints were the plumbing parts and they didn't ship the return pump. Wife called today and said it has arrived so that is resolved. KUDOS to Marine Depot for excellent CS.

OP
OP
E

Eric_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to give you guys an update. Decided to buy SCA 50g. Got the tank and stand yesterday. Very nice. In the process of hard plumping. Have a question regarding LED lighting. I really like the Maxspect Ethereal. What would you recommend for a 24x24x20 cube tank? I would prefer to buy one light if possible.

Also planning on buying the Echotech MP10wQD. Do you think one powerhead would be sufficient for a 50g cube tank? Or do I need two?

wyattray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 70G artisan back in Nonmember I was able to snag it on another site for 1200, The tank stand and sump construction were great, everything else was junk. The plumbing was replaced by using adapters since I was unable to enlarge the holes to standard from metric. So if they are able to drill the holes out bigger for standard bulkheads, or you feel confident it doing it, I would suggest you do that first.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to give you guys an update. Decided to buy SCA 50g. Got the tank and stand yesterday. Very nice. In the process of hard plumping. Have a question regarding LED lighting. I really like the Maxspect Ethereal. What would you recommend for a 24x24x20 cube tank? I would prefer to buy one light if possible.

Also planning on buying the Echotech MP10wQD. Do you think one powerhead would be sufficient for a 50g cube tank? Or do I need two?
I'd personally for LEDs would go with Ecotech Radion G4 xr30 pro. You could even get away with a xr15 if doing only LPS.

OP
OP
E

Eric_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd personally for LEDs would go with Ecotech Radion G4 xr30 pro. You could even get away with a xr15 if doing only LPS.

I have seen those and they are more powerful and cost a little more. Not too worried about the money, more concerned with the aesthetics. Can you tell me why you prefer these lights? I really like the look of the Ethereal.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen those and they are more powerful and cost a little more. Not too worried about the money, more concerned with the aesthetics. Can you tell me why you prefer these lights? I really like the look of the Ethereal.
Ecotech's proven success with Radions. There is a ton more feed back from reefers and more reviews out there to back this up.
Radions are much sleeker looking than many other LEDs on the market. IMO
Resale value is probably the best out of any LED out there. So say if you wanted to go T5 or with something else. The Ecotechs would retain the most value.

Not knocking the Maxspect's capability to grow corals. With their previous line of LEDs (Razor/Celestial) there seemed to be a high rate of failure of the LED diodes. Not to mention several reviews out there regarding unit failures along with bad customer service since Coral Vue took over. Not too many reviews out there for the Ethereal. For the one's I've seen it seems most people are happy with them.

I like the products that Coral Vue offers but their customer service definitely is lacking. Recently I've contacted them several times about purchasing a ELOS diamond series tank and I cannot get a single person to return a call or email. Easy sale of a several thousand dollar tank for them. Can't believe someone can't even get back to me. Especially since their site claims the tanks are in stock ready to ship.

OP
OP
E

Eric_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good info, thank you for explaining. It seems Echotrch is going to get a lot of money as they offer very high end equipment.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 50 72.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back