Cal Rx question

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background
Im running a CAL RX on my system. currently i have it setup at
1. fixed bubble rate and (6 bubbles per min)
2. a steady stream ( i add water until it just changes from a steady drip to a solid stream)

By fixing these two variables to constants it only leaves PH (probe is in first chamber of a dual reactor for added accruacy) as the lever for me to adj my CAL Rx -(much easier for me)
Adjusting - due to new growth
By testing the effluent that comes out of the reactor daily I see that the effluent is a solid 9 DKH coming out of the reactor at all times (i tested it various times during the past 4 days). My alk has been ticking up because it was originally at 7.8 when i tested last week (due to new growth)

Question
If the effluent is coming out at 9 dkh. and the flow rate will eventually turnover the tank in a 24 hr period (i have total system volume of 225). is it safe to say that my Alk can never go above 9 dkh?

I ask this question because, if that is the case, instead of testing the tank water, i could set the CAL RX affluent to my desired level. it would make adjustments easier. and also its always nice to know a max level when dealing with these things?

Thoughts?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question
If the effluent is coming out at 9 dkh. and the flow rate will eventually turnover the tank in a 24 hr period (i have total system volume of 225). is it safe to say that my Alk can never go above 9 dkh?

Yes, and unless the flow is very high, it will probably stay a lot lower than 9 dKH in the tank. If the tank alk is 9 dKH and you flow one whole system volume through the reactor in 24 h, the addition will only be 1 dKH per day.

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good formula to determine the proper flow. I would love to be able to understand this relationship and use it to fine tune the reactor

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the 9 dkh from reactor. My alk has been creeping up from 7.8 last week to 8.6 this morning.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background
Im running a CAL RX on my system. currently i have it setup at
1. fixed bubble rate and (6 bubbles per min)
2. a steady stream ( i add water until it just changes from a steady drip to a solid stream)

By fixing these two variables to constants it only leaves PH (probe is in first chamber of a dual reactor for added accruacy) as the lever for me to adj my CAL Rx -(much easier for me)
Adjusting - due to new growth
By testing the effluent that comes out of the reactor daily I see that the effluent is a solid 9 DKH coming out of the reactor at all times (i tested it various times during the past 4 days). My alk has been ticking up because it was originally at 7.8 when i tested last week (due to new growth)

Question

I ask this question because, if that is the case, instead of testing the tank water, i could set the CAL RX affluent to my desired level. it would make adjustments easier. and also its always nice to know a max level when dealing with these things?

Thoughts?
I tune in and run my cal reactor like the two below video's.

My 2 stage GEO came with an .5 Sicce reactor pump and I use the Sicce 1.0 for the feed pump and the continuous stream.

Output's stream:

:)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back