Calcium & Alkalinity Build Up

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I recently begun dosing my 4 month old aquarium with Seachem Part 1 & 2 via a dosing unit that is adding the chemicals to my return pump chamber. All the levels in my tank seem fine but I've just noticed a lot of white 'spots' that have built up on a lot of the plastic surfaces in my sump (mainly on my heater and on the walls that separate the chambers). They are like tiny granules that I can remove with my fingernail so I can only presume they are something to do with the calcium or alkalinity that I'm adding. Is this normal? Is it an indication that somehow the chemicals are not mixing with the water sufficiently?

Any advice welcome!
Thanks

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I recently begun dosing my 4 month old aquarium with Seachem Part 1 & 2 via a dosing unit that is adding the chemicals to my return pump chamber. All the levels in my tank seem fine but I've just noticed a lot of white 'spots' that have built up on a lot of the plastic surfaces in my sump (mainly on my heater and on the walls that separate the chambers). They are like tiny granules that I can remove with my fingernail so I can only presume they are something to do with the calcium or alkalinity that I'm adding. Is this normal? Is it an indication that somehow the chemicals are not mixing with the water sufficiently?

Any advice welcome!
Thanks
I wonder if they are spirorbids?

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow do you know what I'm pretty sure you're right. They look just like tiny specs of calcium to the naked eye but I took a photo and zoomed in as far as I could go & you can definitely see the curved shape. Thanks both that's really helpful (and good to know they are harmless)

IMG_0372 (1).jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back