Calcium and Alkalinity wild imbalance?!?

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused. My Hanna checker shows Alkalinity at 9.1. My Red Sea calcium had to be extrapolated because I hit then end of the syringe; I estimate something insane like 750 calcium. The solution and powder is new. I was seeing similar results before the new and assumed bad supplies; hence the new. I thought that sort of imbalance would cause precipitation, but none of that. Fish and corals seem fine, but maybe not? Any theories here? Anything to adjust or worry about?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused. My Hanna checker shows Alkalinity at 9.1. My Red Sea calcium had to be extrapolated because I hit then end of the syringe; I estimate something insane like 750 calcium. The solution and powder is new. I was seeing similar results before the new and assumed bad supplies; hence the new. I thought that sort of imbalance would cause precipitation, but none of that. Fish and corals seem fine, but maybe not? Any theories here? Anything to adjust or worry about?
I think you would start seeing precipitation at that alkalinity and calcium level.
What tests are you using?

Here's a helpful article by Randy Holmes Farley on the calcium and alkalinity levels and how to adjust.

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea for calcium, Hanna for alkalinity
Personally, I would do one more check of each. And then I would do a water change to help bring down that calcium if you think it's correct.
Alkalinity should be checked roughly the same time of day to get the same result. Alkalinity moves up and down as the lights come on or go off so that's why we like to check around the same time of day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect there's a problem with the Red Sea kit, unless you added a lot of calcium, but it is certainly not an impossible result. Try it on some new salt water. There's no need to extrapolate with a calcium kit. Use a second syringe and add the values together.

In terms of precipitation, the difference on going from calcium of 420 to calcium of 750 ppm is the same as going from 7 dKH to 12.5 dKH, or from pH 7.9 to pH 8.16.

As you can see from the above statement, pH is typically the biggest variable drives in precipitation in a reef tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back