Calcium and alkalinity

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using w part dosing and switched to calcium reactor some time ago. Since then I don't test MG and CA, I check alkalinity only. And it is more or less stable.
Today I checked MG is 1170 and CA 380. It looks like my corals consume more CA thank alk? I know the problem is more complex but in general, how do you handle such scenarios? Dosing CA?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add calcium and magnesium to bring it into the range you want.
BRS has a calculator for this.
I run a carx and ca is always 420+.
Magnesium is 1350.
I dose trace daily that keeps mag where I want it.

What is your alk level now? What is more or less stable mean?

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have peristaltic pump yet and output clogs. So it goes down from time to time. I run my tank at alk 9-9.5. I dosed CA today to have it in a good range but I wonder if it starts dropping again? I mean corals don't consume alk with CA at the same range?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using w part dosing and switched to calcium reactor some time ago. Since then I don't test MG and CA, I check alkalinity only. And it is more or less stable.
Today I checked MG is 1170 and CA 380. It looks like my corals consume more CA thank alk? I know the problem is more complex but in general, how do you handle such scenarios? Dosing CA?

Assuming the values are all accurate, what it likely means is the tank used less alk than expected based on calcium decline (not really the other way around), and that may be due to other ways that alk is added. These include falling or dosing nitrate, water changes with a high alk mix, or certain supplements that may add alk without recognizing it (silicate, some amino acids, etc.)

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am battling dino and I dose silicate (spongexcel 100ml/250gallons daily) for around 3 months now. I also added some nitrates at some point.

@Randy Holmes-Farley I don't have phd in chemistry so please forgive me maybe silly question - so assuming if I don't "tweak" my tank by adding silica/nitrates/any other staff which may increase CA, calcium reactor releases alk and CA in the proportions that meets my tank consumption? So if I test alk and it is stable then ca should also be stable? I don't test CA each time I test alk.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back