Calcium carbonate phosphate removal

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want tk remove po4 with calcium carbonate but was wondering if i could use limewater as the calcium?

My idea is to bubble it until all the calcium hydroxide is converted to calcium carbonate then filter the sand out, rinse it and dose the sand to see what effect it has on po4. Feasible?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago folks said that just adding Kalk to the tank would bind up a certain amount of phos theoretically. Don’t know if it was ever proved though.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a cup of calcium hydroxide into 3 gallons of ro water. And i have an air stone bubbling into it. Conductivity is 9.3 ms/ C, what Conductivity would indicate all of it was converted to calcium carbonate?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want tk remove po4 with calcium carbonate but was wondering if i could use limewater as the calcium?

My idea is to bubble it until all the calcium hydroxide is converted to calcium carbonate then filter the sand out, rinse it and dose the sand to see what effect it has on po4. Feasible?

Yes, but it seems like a lot of work to make powdered calcium carbonate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a cup of calcium hydroxide into 3 gallons of ro water. And i have an air stone bubbling into it. Conductivity is 9.3 ms/ C, what Conductivity would indicate all of it was converted to calcium carbonate?

All converted?
0 mS/cm lol

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you are interested in using calcium carbonate to bind PO4, pass aquarium water through wash aragonite sand.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are interested in using calcium carbonate to bind PO4, pass aquarium water through wash aragonite sand.
I have a 40lb bag of oolite aragonite. My concern is it might be saturated in po4 already.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40lb bag of oolite aragonite. My concern is it might be saturated in po4 already.
Test your hypothesis. Soak a sample of the aragonite sand in freshly made salt water, measuring the initial PO4 and then PO4 after a week.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But to measure that id need to have clear settled calcium carbonate water? Suspended calcium carbonate would effect conductivity?

Not really. Suspended particles aren't a big deal. Maybe they push the value down a tiny bit.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw my home made limewater calcium carbonate didn't reduce po4 at all. But adding some new dry rocks made from dead coral skeletons clearly did by about .20ppm.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw my home made limewater calcium carbonate didn't reduce po4 at all. But adding some new dry rocks made from dead coral skeletons clearly did by about .20ppm.

Thanks for the update. :)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though not exactly was this thread was about, Did anyone get any further with this? (Adding clean aragonite into a filter), I imagine as long as the source of sand was clean, it could bind lots of phos. On my recent tank I had no sand but non porous dry rock and it took months to see any phosphate, even with a bit of TSP dosing and F/2 fertilizer. Them days are behind me now, so now would want to try and reduce phos, lol. Normal service has resumed :)
Failing any testing, I will just throw some in a mesh bag and see what happens. I never got on with GFO, not sure about Lanthanum and am not doing an algae scrubber again. TIA

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, I’ve been putting 3 massive spoons of a certain sand in a mesh bag in my sump, each week (3 weeks so far). It clouds the water for an hour (I do this while the filter sock is dirty) to maximize fine particulate filtration. The phos level in my tank has reduced (salifert), weekly 10% waterchange, barebottom tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, I’ve been putting 3 massive spoons of a certain sand in a mesh bag in my sump, each week (3 weeks so far). It clouds the water for an hour (I do this while the filter sock is dirty) to maximize fine particulate filtration. The phos level in my tank has reduced (salifert), weekly 10% waterchange, barebottom tank.

It's an inexpensive version of the "coral snow". :)

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just throw in a couple of scoops of calcium carbonate powder?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just throw in a couple of scoops of calcium carbonate powder?
Haven’t got any of that. I do have a 20kg bag of sand, lol.

Edit - my initial assumption was that the phos would bind to the sand in the bag, perhaps it is, maybe it’s not, dunno.

Edit 2 - however, I do have a mortar and pestle

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back