Calcium causing ion imbalance?

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If dosing calcium carbonate only as you calcium additive, could the present and ion imbalance eventually as described in this video?
See from 40-46 minute mark.
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The precipitate is certainly a concern, but I don't think he has a correct understanding of what caused the precipitate. It certainly is not ionic imbalance unless the person ignored magnesium for a long time and it got very low. I'm not sure he even understands what an ionic imbalance is since he also says ICP won't detect it.

Precipitation of calcium carbonate is primarily driven by high pH and alkalinity, to a much smaller extent by elevated calcium. It is also encourage by low magnesium, low phosphate, and low organics, all of which get onto growing calcium carbonate surfaces and stop precipitation. It can also be encouraged by ionic iron, such as on or downstream of GFO.

When you first add sodium carbonate (soda ash) or calcium or sodium hydroxide, the local addition point is prime for precipitation (high pH and alk), and needs to be mixed in fast. That's why it is important to add slowly to a high flow/turbulent area, spread out doses and dilute the product, if needed.

Using sodium bicarbonate will lead to lower pH and less chance of precipitation. Ionic imbalances issues, however, are exactly identical to sodium carbonate and again, not the issue.

There are some ionic imbalance issues using just sodium bicarbonate/carbonate/hydroxide and calcium chloride. That's partly why my DIY directions have a third part that contains magnesium and sulfate.

Those issues are eliminated or reduced by using a two part that includes many ions (such as ESV-B-ionic) or if you add the Balling sodium chloride free salt mix (Part C) to provide the balance. Neither of those actions will alter the potential to precipitate calcium carbonate.

OP
OP
ksed

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy!
Therefore if I follow your recipe then we shouldn’t have an issue with ionic imbalances. Also sending in a water sample every now and then to verify is not a bad idea.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy!
Therefore if I follow your recipe then we shouldn’t have an issue with ionic imbalances. Also sending in a water sample every now and then to verify is not a bad idea.

Use of calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate/carbonate, and the third part as directed (magnesium chloride/sulfate) will not cause an imbalance involving any of those ions, but will, over time, cause a decrease in ions such as potassium, fluoride, borate, etc, that are not in the DIY formulation (but are in other types of two parts or Balling). The reason that happens is that sodium/magnesium/chloride/sulfate will accumulat e and slowly increase the salinity. When you lower salinity back to normal, those all go to their normal levels, but ions not added, such as potassium, go down.

Water changes help with this, but may not be perfect.

Craig Bingman modelled this decades ago:

Simulating the Effect of Calcium Chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate Additions on Reef Systems

Additional Simulations: The Combined Effect Of Calcium Chloride
/Sodium Bicarbonate Additions And Water Exchanges

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back