Calcium Chloride Dihydrate vs Soda Lime

Ed olson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I know we aren't comparing apples to apples here...is it possible to safely use Calcium Chloride Dihydrate as a CO2 scrubbing media instead of Soda Lime?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 ^^ why? What would be the benefit in using Calcium Chloride Dihydrate? I am curious.

OP
OP
Ed olson

Ed olson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could source calcium chloride for pennies on the dollar to soda lime (even though still relatively cheap), and it does the exact same thing, and it's safe...why not?
It would be nice to discuss whether this is a viable option or not instead of questioning the motives behind it.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could source calcium chloride for pennies on the dollar to soda lime (even though still relatively cheap), and it does the exact same thing, and it's safe...why not?
It would be nice to discuss whether this is a viable option or not instead of questioning the motives behind it.
I would agree with both of these statements.

Do you have a source for your Calcium Chloride that can be obtained for pennies on the dollar? Is this price point achievable at reasonable quantities for the home aquariest? Have your measured the consumption rates of Calcium Chloride against soda lime in identical environments and compared the results against the surface areas of the materials?

Just asking questions to further the conversation.

OP
OP
Ed olson

Ed olson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with both of these statements.

Do you have a source for your Calcium Chloride that can be obtained for pennies on the dollar? Is this price point achievable at reasonable quantities for the home aquariest? Have your measured the consumption rates of Calcium Chloride against soda lime in identical environments and compared the results against the surface areas of the materials?

Just asking questions to further the conversation.
Thank you for this response. I'm just an average guy who found some moisture absorping media that might or might not work in place of soda lime.
I can source this media locally for $0.12/oz. instead of the $0.30-$0.40/oz at most online retailers. Can I source it long term? I don't know, but for the foreseeable future yes.
I have not done any reading on absorption rates. I didn't even think of that, thank you for bringing that to my attention. Surface areas seem to be comparable as these are about 1mm spheres.

I'd really like to know if this could work or not, safely. Is there a test I could perform that could both identify its efficacy and safety at a laymen level?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this response. I'm just an average guy who found some moisture absorping media that might or might not work in place of soda lime.
I can source this media locally for $0.12/oz. instead of the $0.30-$0.40/oz at most online retailers. Can I source it long term? I don't know, but for the foreseeable future yes.
I have not done any reading on absorption rates. I didn't even think of that, thank you for bringing that to my attention. Surface areas seem to be comparable as these are about 1mm spheres.

I'd really like to know if this could work or not, safely. Is there a test I could perform that could both identify its efficacy and safety at a laymen level?
You confused me at "moisture absorbing media". I am no chemist. Is the intention to use the Calcium Chloride media to remove moisture? I do not believe this is the same intention of the Soda Lime media. I do not know if it would have the same effect so I find this interesting.

OP
OP
Ed olson

Ed olson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You confused me at "moisture absorbing media". I am no chemist. Is the intention to use the Calcium Chloride media to remove moisture? I do not believe this is the same intention of the Soda Lime media. I do not know if it would have the same effect so I find this interesting
Okay here's my thinking. CO2 is a gas that is part of the air. That air contains moisture. To remove the moisture you must be passing moist air through the media, that air contains CO2. Removing the moisture surely has to also remove some of the CO2.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't work this way. CO2 removal takes place when the gas reacts with the chemical.

CO2 partially dissolves in water to form carbonic acid, which then reacts with sodium hydroxide soda lime to form sodium bicarbonate, removing the gas from the air.

Calcium chloride will not have similar reaction.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay here's my thinking. CO2 is a gas that is part of the air. That air contains moisture. To remove the moisture you must be passing moist air through the media, that air contains CO2. Removing the moisture surely has to also remove some of the CO2.
This is the way.

I do not think that CO2 absorption would have the same effect as reduction of moisture in the same air.
I would agree that removing moisture from the air will reduce some CO2 from the air. Again, not a chemist.
I do not think that you can use moisture reduction to equate to a significant source of CO2 reduction

How would you reduce CO2 in an environment where the local air was dry (low in moisture content) with this media?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looking for an alternative. Just went to buy the 7.5 lb pack from BRS and it's sold out
I am yet to be sold on the effectiveness of Calcium Chloride Dihydrate an alternative. But I am interested in learning more about it.

OP
OP
Ed olson

Ed olson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the way.

I do not think that CO2 absorption would have the same effect as reduction of moisture in the same air.
I would agree that removing moisture from the air will reduce some CO2 from the air. Again, not a chemist.
I do not think that you can use moisture reduction to equate to a significant source of CO2 reduction

How would you reduce CO2 in an environment where the local air was dry (low in moisture content) with this media?
I am yet to be sold on the effectiveness of Calcium Chloride Dihydrate an alternative. But I am interested in learning more about it.
Thank you everyone. I suppose it may be out of the question on a scale that would meet our needs as hobbyists for scrubbing purposes. I would also like to see if others have the same or differing opinions.

OP
OP
Ed olson

Ed olson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is a tad relevant...not sure what was going on this situation..but clearly I'm not the first to ask about CaCl.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is a tad relevant...not sure what was going on this situation..but clearly I'm not the first to ask about CaCl.
This is for supplementing calcium. It has nothing to do with CO2 removal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I know we aren't comparing apples to apples here...is it possible to safely use Calcium Chloride Dihydrate as a CO2 scrubbing media instead of Soda Lime?

No, it is not suitable. It needs a pH raising component.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back