whats the difference between Calcium chloride Dihydrate 77.5% and Calcium Chloride Hexahydrate 98%

RossRusev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the difference between Dihydrate and Hexahydrate?
Randy`s Do-it-Yourself Two-Part says to use Dihydrate but thats only 77.5% clean. My supplier offered me Hexahydrate 98% but they know nothing about fish tanks and corals. Are they similar? Can i use Hexahydrate instead of Dihydrate since ist cleaner?
1694795659630.png

1694795678484.png

OP
OP
R

RossRusev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much for replaying. really appreciate it. last question: the one that says 77.5% - it says only calcium chloride but they do not mention Dihydrate. Would you assume that is dihydrate and thats exactly what I need in order to follow your 2 part recipe

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much for replaying. really appreciate it. last question: the one that says 77.5% - it says only calcium chloride but they do not mention Dihydrate. Would you assume that is dihydrate and thats exactly what I need in order to follow your 2 part recipe

Yes, I expect that is correct.

OP
OP
R

RossRusev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, and thank you for your replies. I have contacted the company (APC) and they have told me that the product above is not calcium chloride dihydrate but basic calcium chloride. They do not sell dehydrate. Is the basic one ok to use? Is there a big difference? Same proportions/ratios for your 2 part recipe? I wanted to buy from this supplier as they are known to sell pharma grade, very pure supplements. Can i go ahead and substitute the dihydrate with basic calcium chloride ( CaCl2). Thanks a lot

Birdy64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone point me in the right direction on purchasing the calcium chloride dihydrate flake? I am trying amazon but unsure of the correct one to purchase. Send me a link where I can buy the correct one, please. Thank you in advance!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone point me in the right direction on purchasing the calcium chloride dihydrate flake? I am trying amazon but unsure of the correct one to purchase. Send me a link where I can buy the correct one, please. Thank you in advance!

Most calcium chloride is the right chemical, but finding adequate purity is desirable. Food grade or ACS reagent grade is suitable.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 45 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back