Calcium chloride for Rand's 2 part recipe

Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200128-144646.png

I have been trying to locate Peladow ice melt all winter here in Wisconsin without any luck. Randy, do you think this would work as a substitute or should I keep searching for products outlined in your recipe?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200128-144646.png

I have been trying to locate Peladow ice melt all winter here in Wisconsin without any luck. Randy, do you think this would work as a substitute or should I keep searching for products outlined in your recipe?

Thanks in advance for your help.

it used to be fine, but that was mostly years ago and product suppliers may change. I would guess it is ok, but may have more bromide than it used to. Dow alerted users to that change a few years ago.

If you do water changes, which limits the bromide rise, I’d probably use it.

OP
OP
Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it used to be fine, but that was mostly years ago and product suppliers may change. I would guess it is ok, but may have more bromide than it used to. Dow alerted users to that change a few years ago.

I do 10 percent water changes weekly. Do you think that is large enough to use the snow Joe ice melt pictured in my original post?

Are there any other DIY products you recommend for calcium?

OP
OP
Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You mention Bromide as a possible negative side affect of using driveway salt. I use Fauna Marin balling light mixed into my 2 part as a way to maintain some trace elements. One of the ingredients in the trace 3 bottle is Bromine. Should I be concerned about using driveway salt and Fauna Marin balling light together?

Thanks again

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using this for 3 or 4 years - not sure exactly when I switched from dowflake. Maybe even 5 years. Fully SPS dominant mixed reef with no issues.

I have a Farmer friend who gets it for me for around $20 CDN/50lbs
400 grams makes 3785mls of Randy's 2-part @37,000ppm, so a bag lasts a ridiculously long time and I end up selling some locally as a bag makes nearly 57 gallons of 2-part Ca !!

What do you think of the product @Randy Holmes-Farley ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 10 percent water changes weekly. Do you think that is large enough to use the snow Joe ice melt pictured in my original post?

Are there any other DIY products you recommend for calcium?

it is plenty to mitigate the possibly elevated bromide, yes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using this for 3 or 4 years - not sure exactly when I switched from dowflake. Maybe even 5 years. Fully SPS dominant mixed reef with no issues.

I have a Farmer friend who gets it for me for around $20 CDN/50lbs
400 grams makes 3785mls of Randy's 2-part @37,000ppm, so a bag lasts a ridiculously long time and I end up selling some locally as a bag makes nearly 57 gallons of 2-part Ca !!

What do you think of the product @Randy Holmes-Farley ?

The link doesn’t work for me, but it sounds like a food grade.

OP
OP
Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it's a fraction of the cost.

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. The calcium chloride posted above from Amazon is only $1 cheaper ($22.50) than the BRS product (23.99). 7 lbs is roughly the same as 1 gallon. There is no mention of it being anhydrous which would make it more potent by 20 percent.
I might be missing something though. In addition, the BRS product is pharma grade and the Amazon product is food grade.

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. The calcium chloride posted above from Amazon is only $1 cheaper ($22.50) than the BRS product (23.99). 7 lbs is roughly the same as 1 gallon. There is no mention of it being anhydrous which would make it more potent by 20 percent.
I might be missing something though. In addition, the BRS product is pharma grade and the Amazon product is good grade.

The Amazon link is for 50lbs (it's dihydrate) vs 7lbs for the BRS product. Pharma sounds awesome but ultimately, we're talking about fish tanks.

OP
OP
Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Amazon link is for 50lbs (it's dihydrate) vs 7lbs for the BRS product. Pharma sounds awesome but ultimately, we're talking about fish tanks.

When I click on the Amazon link it looks like this.
Screenshot_20200129-074257.png

It is 1 gallon which is roughly 7 pounds for $22.50. I don't see much of a difference in savings from BRS.
I agree with using DIY calcium products as I have used them for years. I am also the OP of this thread. I think we are just having a miss communication here.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I click on the Amazon link it looks like this.
Screenshot_20200129-074257.png

It is 1 gallon which is roughly 7 pounds for $22.50. I don't see much of a difference in savings from BRS.
I agree with using DIY calcium products as I have used them for years. I am also the OP of this thread. I think we are just having a miss communication here.

I was talking about the first post (Snow Joes).

OP
OP
Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking about the first post (Snow Joes).

That's what I thought. I was confused because the snow Joe post was from me as well. Sorry for the confusion. I should have quoted the post I was discussing. I am somewhat new to Reef 2 Reef.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back