calcium levels are high please help!!!!

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey i had a question for everyone out there .....so i ran out of calcium test kit for about almost 2 weeks ...i use a 2 part system to maintain my reef so not able to test my calcium for almost 2 weeks i ordered a kit online but in meantime i still dosed what i normally dose for calcium and carbonate ...so i got my test kit finally tested my levels of calcium and it is about 500-510 ppm which i never ever got that high in my life so far owning this tank ....so nothing is really doing bad in my tank i have a flower pot that seem to be little ticked off and is not opening fully but everything else is good....so i dosed double what I've been dosing (just kidding)....i was wondering how i can lower my calcium levels slowly my alkalinity i check everyday in meantime so i can catch any sudden drops as fast as i can so far so good but i want to start lowering the calcium would a water change help the process ...i use reef crystals instant ocean not sure if that would just replenish the levels or it that would help i have a 75 gallon i would only do a 15 gallon 20 gallon swap? .....or should i just keep my eye on my alkalinity and stop dosing calcium for now and only dose alkalinity like always once it drops and advice would help asap

@

e

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,yep,leave alone keep eye on,let fall on own ;)

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,yep,leave alone keep eye on,let fall on own ;)
thats what i figured but i feel so unproductive just letting it do its things but i figured it was the way to do it....do you thing a small 15 gallon change will affect it negatively or can i still do my small weekly changes i have a water change scheduled for tomorrow but don't wanna make my levels even higher

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
skip one,careful..don't chase numbers, ;)

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a elevated level of calcium tick any corals off ? i have a flower pot coral that I've had for 6 months now never had a issue until now he's not dying or decaying its just not opening up all the way
I would not expect it to. Your not that high either.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a elevated level of calcium tick any corals off ? i have a flower pot coral that I've had for 6 months now never had a issue until now he's not dying or decaying its just not opening up all the way

No, not at the levels you report.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
according to whom it's not a big deal? they have this measurements for a reason

lol. Relax lol
According to me. It is fine in the 400-550 ppm range.

The reason you measure is to be sure it is not too low (a serious issue for corals) and not too high (tends to contribute to increased precipitation of calcium carbonate.

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. Relax lol
According to me. It is fine in the 400-550 ppm range.

The reason you measure is to be sure it is not too low (a serious issue for corals) and not too high (tends to contribute to increased precipitation of calcium carbonate.

if the corals are coming to you and they have 420 cal and you put them in 500+ guess what's going to happen to the corals GUESS, they going to relax for sure by dying and relaxing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from one of my articles:

Calcium

Many corals use calcium to form their skeletons, which are composed primarily of calcium carbonate. The corals get most of the calcium for this process from the surrounding water. Consequently, calcium often becomes depleted in aquaria housing rapidly growing corals, calcareous red algae (coralline algae), Tridacnids (clams) and Halimeda (a macroalgae containing calcium carbonate). As the calcium level drops below 360 ppm, it becomes progressively more difficult for these organisms to collect enough calcium, thus stunting their growth.

Maintaining the calcium level is one of the most important aspects of coral reef aquarium husbandry. Most reef aquarists try to maintain approximately natural levels of calcium in their aquaria (~420 ppm). It does not appear that boosting the calcium concentration above natural levels enhances calcification (i.e., skeletal growth) in most corals.

For these reasons, I suggest that aquarists maintain a calcium level between about 380 and 450 ppm, although higher is generally not a problem until it gets so high that calcium carbonate precipitation becomes problematic. Aquarists with a very light demand may be able to maintain calcium with water changes, especially since some salt mixes have excessive calcium in them. But most established aquaria with growing hard corals and coralline algae will require some calcium supplementation, and in some cases, it might be needed every day.

I usually suggest using a balanced calcium and alkalinity additive system for routine maintenance. The most popular of these balanced methods include limewater (kalkwasser), calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactors, and the two-part or three-part additive systems for calcium and alkalinity. If calcium is depleted and needs to be raised significantly, however, such balanced methods are not a good choice since they will raise alkalinity too much. In that case, adding calcium chloride is a good method for raising calcium in a one-time correction.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the corals are coming to you and they have 420 cal and you put them in 500+ guess what's going to happen to the corals GUESS, they going to relax for sure by dying and relaxing
Sorry, that is not correct at all.
At any calcium level above 420 ppm, calcium is not a limiting factor for coral growth. They easily get all they want and changes in the level are unimportant to them.

In this sense, calcium is totally different than alkalinity which is a limiting factor for calcification and is important to keep stable.

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At any calcium level above 420 ppm, calcium is not a limiting factor for coral growth. They easily get all they want and changes in the level are unimportant to them.

In this sense, calcium is totally different than alkalinity which is a limiting factor for calcification and is important to keep stable.

why do i even check my calcium if it's not even that important factor of the equation. my calcium is 520 alk 8.8 running a calcium reactor, i cannot shot the reactor another wise i will end up doing more damage then i am suppose to do,

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Screenshot_20201106-151534_APEX Fusion.jpg Screenshot_20201106-151523_APEX Fusion.jpg Screenshot_20201106-151505_APEX Fusion.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do i even check my calcium if it's not even that important factor of the equation. my calcium is 520 alk 8.8 running a calcium reactor, i cannot shot the reactor another wise i will end up doing more damage then i am suppose to do,

Relax again. You are fine.

you measure for the reasons I gave above.

if you use only a reactor, you think the value is correct, and you want it lower, water changes are one option. Second is shut off the reactor CO2 and use just an alk supplement for a while.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back