Calcium Question

Brad Shook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed my Calcium bouncing up and down. At midnight its reading 450 then at noon its reading 510. I turned the doser off to see what would happen but it's still doing the same thing. My ALk is staying between 8 and 8.1 and my Mag is bouncing between 1444 and 1400 with the doser turned off also. I've been dosing 2 part BRS. Why would Cal bounce like that?

Thomaskraus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed my Calcium bouncing up and down. At midnight its reading 450 then at noon its reading 510. I turned the doser off to see what would happen but it's still doing the same thing. My ALk is staying between 8 and 8.1 and my Mag is bouncing between 1444 and 1400 with the doser turned off also. I've been dosing 2 part BRS. Why would Cal bounce like that?
What are you using to measure calcium?

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect that there is a high uptake in cal so at midnight it’s lower then you dose and bring the level back up. But if you have quit dosing I have no idea what would cause the rise and fall

OP
OP
Brad Shook

Brad Shook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect that there is a high uptake in cal so at midnight it’s lower then you dose and bring the level back up. But if you have quit dosing I have no idea what would cause the rise and fall
Its rising with no dosing. I shut the dosing pump completely off and it still spikes at night.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

test error. It does not bounce up and down like that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a trident, not saying there isn’t an issue but it’s not an error on his part like if he was manually testing

well, the calcium is not bouncing up and down 50 ppm per day. Somewhere there is an error.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brad Shook have you figured out the problem or has anything changed? I've had my trident set up for about 3 weeks now and noticed that my cal is doing the same thing. Its only fluctuating about 20ppm between noon and midnight. But it is 20ppm higher at midnight than it is at noon

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back