Calcium Reactor Calcium Dosage Determination

yasince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a calcium reactor and recently decided to try out Red Sea Color program. The recommended dosage depends on the calcium dosing. Since I am not dosing calcium, I don't know how to determine my calcium dosage.

Any insights?

Thanks in advance.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a calcium reactor and recently decided to try out Red Sea Color program. The recommended dosage depends on the calcium dosing. Since I am not dosing calcium, I don't know how to determine my calcium dosage.

Any insights?

Thanks in advance.

Test and raise your cal and alk, then let them drop by immediately tuning off your cal reactor regulator's solenoid. Test again exactly 24 hours later to see how much your cal dropped.

Bump up your cal and alk using pure 2 part dosing forms, repeat the above again to make sure. That should tell you how much your reef's daily cal intake is.

Then bump those two parameters again and turn back on your regulator's solenoid.

Here's a 2 part + mag calculator / can pick a bunch of products by using the red "Pick a Product" bar, to bump your cal and alk back up.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, dosing trace elements based on calcium dosing is not sensible (since many trace element consumers use no calcium), but I realize that Red Sea does it that way.

The best way get the calcium addition is to measure the flow rate of the effluent from the reactor, and the alkalinity. From that, we can calculate the calcium added each day. Measuring the the calcium directly will also work, but will be more noisy.

OP
OP
yasince

yasince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, dosing trace elements based on calcium dosing is not sensible (since many trace element consumers use no calcium), but I realize that Red Sea does it that way.

The best way get the calcium addition is to measure the flow rate of the effluent from the reactor, and the alkalinity. From that, we can calculate the calcium added each day. Measuring the the calcium directly will also work, but will be more noisy.
Thanks Randy. Do you have a formulation for that?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back