Calcium reactor is too small. Options?

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that it was the reactor but upon cleaning it I see that the media is dissolving well. Its just too small. I have been adding ca and alk but its not a good solution. Terrible I think long term. I will wind up chasing my tail.

I need .5 kh and 5 ppm calcium more per day until I can get a larger reactor. I am using dastaco media, 12 to 16 mm rocks. I cannot change the ph of the dastaco reactor and too many venting cycles empty the co2 bottle too fast. Is there a more reactive media?

Can I put a small amount of kalk in the ato? 25 liters at 8 liters per day evap rate. Can I get enough into solution to avoid the stirrer for the kh and calcium needed?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a reef calculator to see how much saturated limewater you will need if that is under your daily evaporation rate that should work.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes to a little less than 4 liters of saturated solution. Can I have a half saturated solution?

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should only need a larger Ca reactor if you're having to refill it with media too quickly. If you're using a Dastaco, you should be able to increase the effluent rate pushing through the reactor and the Dastaco will still maintain the same PH. The Net result should be higher Kh and Ca output. Personally, I've always been concerned about using the DaStaCo because I think it keeps the chamber at a PH of 6.0 which is way too low for the Seachem media I use.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I dialed the effluent dose way up the alk dropped off by half at the drip from 24 to 12. Venting more did not help but it may have had an air bubble or other internal issue. I need to see if cleaning and refilling have helped. I am not sure if I have the 500 or 800 classic. Its 7 or 8 years old with a new eheim.

Maybe a softer media would help?

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much experience with the DaStaCo, so I'm not the best person to help resolve this issue. I would assume if the DaStaco is able to keep the PH at the same level with a higher effluent rate, then the Alk shouldn't drop. You may need to increase your recirculation rate to coincide with the increase in effluent.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The circulation is better since cleaning. I looked at that. I will keep testing the effluent as I adjust it and see what happens.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I thought that it was the reactor but upon cleaning it I see that the media is dissolving well. Its just too small. I have been adding ca and alk but its not a good solution. Terrible I think long term. I will wind up chasing my tail.

I need .5 kh and 5 ppm calcium more per day until I can get a larger reactor. I am using dastaco media, 12 to 16 mm rocks. I cannot change the ph of the dastaco reactor and too many venting cycles empty the co2 bottle too fast. Is there a more reactive media?

Can I put a small amount of kalk in the ato? 25 liters at 8 liters per day evap rate. Can I get enough into solution to avoid the stirrer for the kh and calcium needed?
Ypu can but be careful how much you are adding as this will be a supplement- not a dose. Reef calculator will be your friend

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:star-struck: nice! much better than buying a whole new reactor.
Yes. I think I will need to eventually but it's good for now. It an 8 month young tank but it's growing aggressively and consuming heavy. The last 72 hours has shown a growth spurt with Hello Kitty acropora finally branching.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back