Calcium reactor issues

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to get my reactor tuned in and it's driving me nuts. If finally found an effulent rate the works and stays consistent but my next problem is that I'll set the bubbles to say 50 bubbles a minute and then when I wake up in the am there's no bubbles so I have to open the needle valve a little more then when I come home from work no bubbles so I open it a little more and so on and so on until I hit a point where I open it just a little to much and I get a steady stream of Co2 .. very frustrating !!! Is my regulator bad ? Is it to much pressure from the feed line ? What's the deal ? I'm not loosing operating pressure at all and I'm not loosing tank pressure so I don't think there's a leak but I don't who what's goin on ???

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to get my reactor tuned in and it's driving me nuts. If finally found an effulent rate the works and stays consistent but my next problem is that I'll set the bubbles to say 50 bubbles a minute and then when I wake up in the am there's no bubbles so I have to open the needle valve a little more then when I come home from work no bubbles so I open it a little more and so on and so on until I hit a point where I open it just a little to much and I get a steady stream of Co2 .. very frustrating !!! Is my regulator bad ? Is it to much pressure from the feed line ? What's the deal ? I'm not loosing operating pressure at all and I'm not loosing tank pressure so I don't think there's a leak but I don't who what's goin on ???

Just a obvious question, do you have a one way valve on your CO2 line? And if you do are you sure it's working not stuck open?

OP
OP
E

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze regulator and yes there a check valve built in to the bubble counter on the reactor and is definitely the right way

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the needle valves that come with these systems are oversized. There is a good thread on building your own regulator on RC that discusses suitable metering valves. The freshwater planted tank forums also discuss them. Ideal 52-1, Swagelok S series, Hoke Micromite 1600 are some. Can also go with the electronic Carbon Doser which many people like.

Also what is the set pressure of your regulator. Generally want about 5-15 psig for a low bubble count.

OP
OP
E

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pressure is set to 1 bar which is about 15 psi.... This morning again there were no bubbles but if I turn off the feed line the bubbles start going again so I guess there's to much pressure from the feed line ? To compensate for this do I raise operating pressure on the regulator or open the needle valve more ?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you need more CO2 pressure, but I would be a little concerned about how much pressure is on the reactor. How are you feeding it and controlling the flow?

OP
OP
E

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you need more CO2 pressure, but I would be a little concerned about how much pressure is on the reactor. How are you feeding it and controlling the flow?
I'm feeding off my return.. you can see the valve isn't open very much
1d975e9bd3246a4b6602f0f4213b562a.jpg

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should not cause excessive pressure on the reactor unless you have a high head return pump and the reactor oulet was restricted. The Tunze manual recommends 0.5 bar for the initial regulator setting. I have generally found the bubble count to be more controllable at lower pressures.

OP
OP
E

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should not cause excessive pressure on the reactor unless you have a high head return pump and the reactor oulet was restricted. The Tunze manual recommends 0.5 bar for the initial regulator setting. I have generally found the bubble count to be more controllable at lower pressures.
At .5 bar I don't get consistent bubbles. The only way for me to keep consistent bubbles is if I set it to 1.5 bar

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I helped setup a buddies CR about 4 months ago after his was having issues with CO2 flow, something like yours. This is the method we went with and it's been working perfect since, I believe it was the effluent not being consistant and backing up.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At .5 bar I don't get consistent bubbles. The only way for me to keep consistent bubbles is if I set it to 1.5 bar
If you have a good needle valve with a low Cv then higher pressure can be more stable. If 1.5 bar works with your needle valve, then leave it there.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back