Calcium Reactor Media

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be setting up a calcium reactor and curious what media everyone likes to use. Looking at the Triton Media and Reborn at the moment... looking for something that stay relatively clean and works well.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of options. I like harder media over softer media. I feel that it is more forgiving and more precise (x dkh at y pH).
I also prefer larger media in a larger chamber over smaller media in any size chamber. The larger media just dosen't clog up nearly as much if at all. Consistency is the name of the game.

I like seachem reactor large media. There are others. I can't speak to those having not used them.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new Reborn does not appear to be like the old stuff. I am still running the OG Reborn. I have tested the Seachem Reef Reactor media that Sean mentioned. It is pretty chunky and dissolves well. The Deltec medias look interesting, though I have not tested them.

OP
OP
penguinexdeus

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new Reborn does not appear to be like the old stuff. I am still running the OG Reborn. I have tested the Seachem Reef Reactor media that Sean mentioned. It is pretty chunky and dissolves well. The Deltec medias look interesting, though I have not tested them.
Can you get the original still? I see some listed as "original size" on saltwateraquarium

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get the original still? I see some listed as "original size" on saltwateraquarium
No, I don't believe so. I was lucky enough to have 6 cases on hand that I had ordered in for a project and never used. The project will be using Florida Cushed Coral instead, when it gets underway.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going to be setting up a calcium reactor and curious what media everyone likes to use. Looking at the Triton Media and Reborn at the moment... looking for something that stay relatively clean and works well.
I use ARM Extra Course without issues. It wasn’t my first choice but I didn’t want the new Reborn (after using up my old batch) based on the reviews. I haven’t tried the Deltec media either.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The land based media like the deltec, kz, dastacko,and seachem have the benefit of not being source limited. The reborn media only had the one recient supply issue that I am aware of but people seam to be really polarized over it.

acrojunkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was disappointed with my last order of the reborn as it was very small broken pieces and full of foreign debis. It still performs decently.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MTC a respected company, now defunct, recommended Florida Crushed Coral for their reactors.

Back