Calcium reactor on a reefer 250?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before I start I am well aware that my calcium and alk uptake can be replenished through dosing. However given the gear junkie I am I would really like to try a calcium reactor. Only issue is that my tank is 60 gallons which I have heard that a calcium reactor on it would be overkill.
I am currently looking at budget options and found one that is pretty popular where I live, the Dymax XC-600. (Rated for up to 160 gallons).

9931C001-F9F4-450C-A18B-D481341ADEB7.jpeg

Would it work on my tank? Given that it has a high calcium and alkalinity uptake.
Let me know of any downsides or suggestions that you have.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only downside would be fitting it into the cabinet of the RS250. Well fitting the CaRx and the CO2 supply.

I have an ACR, a very large CaRx running on an 80 gallon frag tank. The ACR is intended for the 500G tank I am building, but I wanted to try it out first, work out any kinks and besides, I got tired of mixing up 2 part for the frag tank. It has worked out fine, even though the ACR is spec'd for tanks up to 1800 G (according to manufacturer), and I have it running on an 80G. I just had to run the effluent flow rate quite low at the beginning (0.5ml/min).

So I don't see any reason other than space constraints.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only downside would be fitting it into the cabinet of the RS250. Well fitting the CaRx and the CO2 supply.

I have an ACR, a very large CaRx running on an 80 gallon frag tank. The ACR is intended for the 500G tank I am building, but I wanted to try it out first, work out any kinks and besides, I got tired of mixing up 2 part for the frag tank. It has worked out fine, even though the ACR is spec'd for tanks up to 1800 G (according to manufacturer), and I have it running on an 80G. I just had to run the effluent flow rate quite low at the beginning (0.5ml/min).

So I don't see any reason other than space constraints.
Bit of a noob question, but does this model of reactors (the one I attached an image of) require a separate co2 supply and an dosing pump?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I was not able to find much info on it, but what I was able to find is that it can operate in sump or as a hang on unit. It has a self siphon system, so it can be operated without a dosing pump, just a needle valve, and it expects an external CO2 supply.

So yes, it does require a separate CO2 supply and no, you can operate it without a dosing pump.

I should mention that in my opinion, CaRx's operate best when paired with a continuous duty peristaltic pump. A big part of the problems people have with CaRx operation involves needle valves clogging and altering the flow rate and levels as a result.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I was not able to find much info on it, but what I was able to find is that it can operate in sump or as a hang on unit. It has a self siphon system, so it can be operated without a dosing pump, just a needle valve, and it expects an external CO2 supply.

So yes, it does require a separate CO2 supply and no, you can operate it without a dosing pump.

I should mention that in my opinion, CaRx's operate best when paired with a continuous duty peristaltic pump. A big part of people have with CaRx operation involves needle valves clogging and altering the flow rate and levels as a result.
I think the external co2 supply is a major draw back (which is expected with calcium reactors), since as you mentioned space is an important factor that unfortunately I don’t have.
Thank you for your help!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back