Calcium reactor or dosing

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to ask, then I'd say kalk or two-part would be best. Way too many things to go wrong on a Ca-reactor IMO.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need both.

Which one to use is up to you. There are many good systems with both.

Calcium reactor is a bit more expensive to start with and it takes about 30 minutes of learning to figure out how they work and to tune them. They do offer calcium, carbonate, magnesium, potassium, strontium and a handful of other elements that were used for building the coral skeletons that you are now melting. If you have a finely tuned reactor, it will not move your PH, but it can drop your PH about .1, or so, if you are using too much CO2. All of the input in in balance. It is hard to crash or overdose since the output of a CaRx is really just to maintain and it can take weeks to raise levels too high. I just look every few days to make sure that the CO2 bubbles are bubbling and there is output from the reactor and then leave it alone for months at a time.

Dosing can be cheaper and easier to start with. The input is not balanced and you control each of the two or three part on their own. You can overdose a tank in minutes if a pump goes out of whack. You do not need to buy any fancy stuff to do this and Dr. Holmes-Farley has recipes using simple driveway ice melter and baking soda. You can do this on your own by measuring and pouring in your tank, or you can buy automatic dosing systems.

With either, you still have to test. I test alk about twice a week and rarely check calcium or magnesium (maybe every months) since they come in balance.

Mr.Fishtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently changed over to CaRx. Was dosing 2 part for over 3 yrs and was never able to really get things as stable as I would have liked. It has only been a few days since the change over but I have it tuned pretty close with just a few minor adjustments to go.

Then again this all depends on what size system you have. I know a few people that dose over 300ml a day. That can get expensive depending on what brand you use.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank, what kind of coral do you keep and what is your dKH consumption? The answers to these questions will help determine which system is right for you. If your keeping a softy / LPS tank, you might even be able to get away with just kalkwasser.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back