Calcium Reactor powered by Apex Dos?

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to order a Geo's Calcium Reactor soon, and I'm trying to decide between a currently unused Apex DOS pump and buying a Kamoer, which seems to be the standard.

I'm surprised that the Apex Dos doesn't seem to be more widely used. What am I missing other than the longevity of the Kamoer?

It seems like pulling water through the reactor with the DOS, and the ability to control it natively in the same app that's measuring pH would be a major plus?

Sorry if this is a repeat topic, I couldn't find anything since Terrance's build thread that showed support/discussion for this method.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Apex dos is NOT a continuous duty pump. That is why it is not used for this. Meaning it is not rated to run 24 hours 7 days a week.
There is a new pump by ecotech that states it is continuous duty. I will be curious to see if more people begin to use it.
Before the Kamoer, we all used to purchase used lab grade (usually masterflex) pumps.

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex dos is NOT a continuous duty pump. That is why it is not used for this. Meaning it is not rated to run 24 hours 7 days a week.
There is a new pump by ecotech that states it is continuous duty. I will be curious to see if more people begin to use it.
Before the Kamoer, we all used to purchase used lab grade (usually masterflex) pumps.
10-4

Appreciate it!

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. Why does a lag of a few minutes between doses pose an issue?

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curious. Why does a lag of a few minutes between doses pose an issue?
I'm not sure it would.
The question was asked why isn't it used. The reason is it's not a continuous duty pump.

Could it potentially be used? maybe. I use one to dump about 2 gallons a day of kalkwasser into my tank. I use the kameor pump to run my calcium reactor.

If someone is using the Apex dos it would be interesting to see how they set it up.

Last edited:

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would absolutely make sure you use some sort of a pH controller to shut off the CO2 if you are not using a continuous duty pump.
Otherwise, you could potentially have gas being pumped in, and there being no outlet for either water or built up gas. It would be pressurizing the chamber.

I'm not sure how much pressure an acrylic calcium reactor chamber could take. I doubt it would explode but it could potentially start leaking from a gasket.

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should you decide to try the ecotech pump, let us know how it goes!

I am probably going to start with my open Apex DOS slot until coral demand starts to push the pump (or if I run into problems) .... at which point I will try Ecotech.

Apex is an unusually valuable factor for me because of my travel situation.

I have been running 10g/day water changes through it for years and rarely had issues.... I am hoping it is capable of handling a light coral load for now.

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure it would.
The question was asked why isn't it used. The reason is it's not a continuous duty pump.

Could it potentially be used? maybe. I use one to dump about 2 gallons a day of kalkwasser into my tank. I use the kameor pump to run my calcium reactor.

If someone is using the Apex dos it would be interesting to see how they set it up.
I'm up to ~5 liters a day on my Kalk Stirrer, and that's really why I became invested in the idea.

On my kids' freshwater tank, which they fail to maintain at all (bad parenting :face-without-mouth:), I had a 5-10/g water change a day going for years. Apex held up totally fine... it apparently can do 30g/day?

I'm yet to use a calcium reactor, so I could be 1000% be missing something here..... but I am initially planning to have the Dos pull water through the reactor.

I'd have Carbon Doser plugged into Apex as well. Program fail-safes for both. Not yet to what else I can do with it in terms of programming.

My concern is higher volume when corals demand it.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm up to ~5 liters a day on my Kalk Stirrer, and that's really why I became invested in the idea.

On my kids' freshwater tank, which they fail to maintain at all (bad parenting :face-without-mouth:), I had a 5-10/g water change a day going for years. Apex held up totally fine... it apparently can do 30g/day?

I'm yet to use a calcium reactor, so I could be 1000% be missing something here..... but I am initially planning to have the Dos pull water through the reactor.

I'd have Carbon Doser plugged into Apex as well. Program fail-safes for both. Not yet to what else I can do with it in terms of programming.

My concern is higher volume when corals demand it.
The calcium reactor and kalkwasser combination is pretty amazing I've been using it for about 20 years.
pH lowering effects from the calcium reactor are counterbalanced from the pH raising effect from the kalkwasser.

Yes most suggest that you would pull water through the calcium reactor they suggest it's a safer way to do it for the same reason I was talking about pressurizing the chamber accidentally.

I push it through but that's only because I've always been doing it that way and don't feel like changing all the hoses.

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty large system and I and putting a couple of gallons a day of kalkwasser. And am about 65 ml a min through carx
65ml/min is within the daily max of the Dos, which is a very pleasant surprise. If it works well and my volume gets to that range, I'd even consider just getting another Dos and splitting up duties.

My greatest hesitation so far is the lack of acceptance of this as a normal option.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back