Calcium reactor Size

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, this may not be the right place to ask this question. If not, please redirect to the appropriate forum,

A little background first. I have a 500G system that is comprised of a 375-display tank and 220G sump that I run about 1/2 full. The sump was my previous display tank and was repurposed to a sump when we installed the new 375 Display. The sump is located in the Garage about 20 feet from the Display tank and gets plenty of fresh air. I have a light to medium load of coral and fish in the tank. We have a refugium with cheato. I have in the past run Kaltwasser thru an Avast Kalk stir Putting in 3 gallons per day of Kaltwasser. when we changed from the 220 to the 375, I found that that the Kaltwasser was not sufficient to maintain the ALK. I started adding Randy's 2 part in addition to the Kaltwasser. I didn't have a second dosing pump so that has been manual.

I came across a Super Reef Octopus CR5000D 8" Calcium Reactor that I can buy for a very reasonable price. It is rated to maintain a 700 to 1000 G system according to Corel Vue (The manufacturer). I have little faith in manufacturers claims. My question for all you guys is. Does size really matter? It is a twin tube reactor and I assume the second chamber would work as a co2 blow off to help maintain pH. I assume flow thru volume would be the adjustment that would affect the amount of Alk/Ca introduced to the system. My assumption is using a Kamore pump for feed. I have most of the remaining equipment to set up the system.

Any thoughts - Suggestions

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Randy, this may not be the right place to ask this question. If not, please redirect to the appropriate forum,

A little background first. I have a 500G system that is comprised of a 375-display tank and 220G sump that I run about 1/2 full. The sump was my previous display tank and was repurposed to a sump when we installed the new 375 Display. The sump is located in the Garage about 20 feet from the Display tank and gets plenty of fresh air. I have a light to medium load of coral and fish in the tank. We have a refugium with cheato. I have in the past run Kaltwasser thru an Avast Kalk stir Putting in 3 gallons per day of Kaltwasser. when we changed from the 220 to the 375, I found that that the Kaltwasser was not sufficient to maintain the ALK. I started adding Randy's 2 part in addition to the Kaltwasser. I didn't have a second dosing pump so that has been manual.

I came across a Super Reef Octopus CR5000D 8" Calcium Reactor that I can buy for a very reasonable price. It is rated to maintain a 700 to 1000 G system according to Corel Vue (The manufacturer). I have little faith in manufacturers claims. My question for all you guys is. Does size really matter? It is a twin tube reactor and I assume the second chamber would work as a co2 blow off to help maintain pH. I assume flow thru volume would be the adjustment that would affect the amount of Alk/Ca introduced to the system. My assumption is using a Kamore pump for feed. I have most of the remaining equipment to set up the system.

This would work
I run a vertex 6000 unit which handles large tank easily
Dual container gel also good

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it's a fine place to post such a question, but I do not have the necessary knowledge to size CaCO3/CO2 reactors.

stumpyid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly Ca sizing doesn't matter a whole lot. I have a Deltec 601 which I used on a 75, then 125 and now a 250 with about 350 gallon total volume with heavy SPS. I also run a Geo Kalk ractor. The only thing that will change is the flow rate and how long the media will last. I use to refill my Ca reactor once a year and now it is every 3 months.

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly Ca sizing doesn't matter a whole lot. I have a Deltec 601 which I used on a 75, then 125 and now a 250 with about 350 gallon total volume with heavy SPS. I also run a Geo Kalk ractor. The only thing that will change is the flow rate and how long the media will last. I use to refill my Ca reactor once a year and now it is every 3 months.
Thanks, that was my assumption. I really don't put Mutch stock in manufactures claims of equipment sizing. There are just too many variables to say this skimmer, reactor etc. will handle XXX gallons. Bio load is really the only factor that determines how much Alk and Ca are required. Size tends to matter if it is too small more so than if it is too large. My only real concern was what the effect of a larger reactor might be on the resulting tank pH

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back