Calcium reactor vs. 2 part with dosing dump.

Discussion in '3 Rivers Marine Aquarium Society' started by urban coral farmer, Feb 25, 2018.

1. urban coral farmer

urban coral farmer Active Member

As the title states im looking for opinions on both dosing options. Not sure if if a calcium reactor would be needed for my 25 gallon AIO as i am geting by manually dosing 2 part but i really like the consistency it allows for. I have a nano sized calcium reactor and a Reekeeper lite priced at about 550 for everything i would need. The intial price is a punch to the neither region so im hoping in the long run it would be cheaper to run.

So far the pros i have for the calcium reactor are.

- consistency
    - now i have a reason to run a controller
    - possibly cheaper in the long run

Dosing pump pros.
    -cheaper at start up
    -less room taken up in my stand.

Any input would be great.

Tags:

2. Hausser

Hausser Active Member

In my opinion it all depends on what is in your tank. Another is are you planning on upgrading later on? I have an 80 gallon and run a calcium reactor and I only have a few corals, my corals are SPS, chalice and monti. I will never run a doser again and if you tank is mostly SPS and chalices and monti like mine I would run a calcium reactor.

3. urban coral farmer

urban coral farmer Active Member

I have a mixed reef but i have 6 sps frags and 1 decent colony of birds of paradise. Im planning on adding a few more sps to the mix to fill out the uper portion of the tank.

4. vic5hands

vic5hands Well-Known Member

I run both a doser and calcium reactor on a 210 sps dominated

Draft saved Draft deleted