Calcium Reactor - Would you go with Aquarium Plants Regulator or would you go with PH Controller and lesser brand reg and not bubble count

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to do 1 of the following.

1. Either go with an Aquarium Plants regulator and no PH controller and let my apex do that.

or...

2. Go with a Milwaukee ph controller and Reef Fanatic Deluxe or something similar

Would like to see what you all would do.

mnml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a custom built regulator from Alan Le and control the solenoid via Apex.

B0FCE4B6-DC95-42CD-B025-2911CA644AD1.jpeg

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went with a custom built regulator from Alan Le and control the solenoid via Apex.

B0FCE4B6-DC95-42CD-B025-2911CA644AD1.jpeg

wow that is gorgeous. what would the cost be on that reg. I know they are expensive and that is ok with me.

How do you like the apex controlling the PH?

mnml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the reg from Alan for $440 shipped. It’s stainless steel, dual stage, glycerin filled gauges. It’s super precise. It took me about a week to dial but it’s very consistent now. I’m using a Kamoer FX-STP pump to *pull* from the CaRx. The solenoid is only used as a shutoff safety if ph drops too low. The needle valve keeps the ph quite steady on the reactor. I see a small uptick in ph as the ph in the tank rises once lights come on.

844AE2B6-180A-4989-BADF-8BE8BB9F4A57.png

Last edited:

mnml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my Apex programming for the solenoid.

For my tank using Reborn and Remag media, keeping the reactor ph around 6.7 with the Kamoer set at 13ml/minute keeps my Alk at 7.2 DKH.

7811679F-2067-4F82-8D84-7632B238188F.png

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do the Aquarium plants carbon doser/reg, IF I were to use a solenoid, I'd have the pH controller set to shut the CO2 off at 6.2 as a safety fall back only, and have the reactor tuned to run around 6.4-6.5.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aquamaxx dual regulator I use on a Milwaukee controller. It would be the same as running it through an apex to be honest. The apex works as a ph controller. The aquarium plants is great, but I frankly don't see the huge difference/benefit. I am sure there is some inefficiency in my system, but not enough to really matter long run. I would be interested to see someone do a side by side with aquarium plants or alan lee, and generic off the shelf regulator, to see if PH in tank, CO2 use, coral growth, etc are affected with any real significance. may @bulkreefsupply can do this one day.

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s my Apex programming for the solenoid.

For my tank using Reborn and Remag media, keeping the reactor ph around 6.7 with the Kamoer set at 13ml/minute keeps my Alk at 7.2 DKH.

7811679F-2067-4F82-8D84-7632B238188F.png

Thank you for your answers, and photos, and thank you for the apex config too. I love to see how consistent your numbers are as that is key to this entire thing!

mnml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your answers, and photos, and thank you for the apex config too. I love to see how consistent your numbers are as that is key to this entire thing!

No problem. Having a reliable regulator definitely helps with consistency. I highly recommend getting the Kamoer FX-STP pump as it made it really easy to adjust the effluent.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Having a reliable regulator definitely helps with consistency. I highly recommend getting the Kamoer FX-STP pump as it made it really easy to adjust the effluent.
+1 I used a siphon from display originally to feed mine, kinda a pain, so much easier when I got a masterflex!

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I assume the Kamoer pulls water from your "sump" and push water "TO" the reactor? That is your "Feed Pump"?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a variable speed continuous duty peristaltic pump, so when you hear the term “pulling”, then that means the pump is downstream from the reactor, pulling water through the reactor.

feed line from the sump/tank > reactor > peristaltic pump > effluent line

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my milwakee controller and a cheaper regulator to maintain my reactor ph. Trying to maintain bubble counts and drip counts are too much trouble.

Although lately ice noticed its maintaining my alk perfectly. Ut my calcium has been dropping slowly.

mnml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a variable speed continuous duty peristaltic pump, so when you hear the term “pulling”, then that means the pump is downstream from the reactor, pulling water through the reactor.

This ^

BRS did a video on CaRx and recommended you pull water through the reactor vs. pushing water through the reactor.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I resisted getting the CarbonDoser, mostly because my standard regulator/solenoid lasted me almost 20 years. Eventually it corroded to the point that I worried it would blow so I did get the CarbonDoser. Works very well. I see no particular advantage to running a CaRx off the apex pH or separate meter unless you want to measure pH in two places (you can also get another apex PM1 module for that).

I agree with the prior post about only using Ph as a failsafe. I balance my CaRx so it runs constantly. Peri pump is better done pulling out of the reactor; reduces grit in the peri tubing which = longer useful life.

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. Go with a Milwaukee ph controller and Reef Fanatic Deluxe or something similar

Would like to see what you all would do.

This is how I run my reactor. The only issue I have is dialing it back in when I put new media in. Also the regulators don't last that long. When they break, they stay closed so the PH in the reactor doesn't go down, it goes up. I usually have a spare reg for back-up.

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It's funny, I wrote it that way first, then I was like that can't be right lol, but it was.

So I would need any pump to feed the reactor then use the Para Pump to pull the water out of the reactor back into the tank.. do you all suggest a small pump to feed with something in the 300-400 gph range?

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This ^

BRS did a video on CaRx and recommended you pull water through the reactor vs. pushing water through the reactor.
I am going to check that video out right now!

Thank you everyone! Trying not to NUKE my tank, b/c dosing 2 part is becoming a nightmare, I just can't keep up.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back