calcium reactor

Bigdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of getting a Calcium reactor but am unsure what one to get or should i buy new or used or with a controller or not . if any of you have any suggestions on what ones are the best bang for the money please let me know as i know nothing about them
Thanks
Jason

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as brand goes the nice ones are the jet streams and the aqua care ones. You want to buy it with a pH controller that way you are not sitting there counting bubbles and making sure it is consistent. The controller will automatically shutoff the co2 when the desired ph is reached in the chamber. For the extra money the controller is worth it. Also make sure your probes are calibrated correctly every 6 months. (usually when you refill tehe media and service your reactor)

The media that you put in there is also important, some reactors use coarse media others use fine media. If you use fine media in a reactor that requires coarse it will turn into mush.

You can buy used no problem. Make sure the co2 tank has a good hydro date on it, if not they won't fill it for you until you get it rehydroed. Also make sure the continued works and everything, you would be surprised alot of people expose it to water without even knowing they did (ie. Tank overflows).

People will go left and right about calcium reactor brands so you are honestly better off doing your homework as researching what's best for you.

Goodluck!

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would suggest learning how one works before you use one on the tank, that way you know what to adjust if your levels are too high or low.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i am sorry i have a 75 gallon 29 gallon as a sump mixed reef mostly lps a few sps like bird nest and montipora
i have a sunpod 250x2 mh light
reef octopus recerculating skimmer
calcium 420
mag 1200
alk 10
those are current readings
i did dose an alk buffer as my alk dropped to 5
hope i gave you enough info anything else just ask

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the geo's calcium reactor they're simple and easy to dial in and minimum parts and hassle very well built !

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run an Aquatic Sytems Design reactor and couldnt be happier with it. I read a lot of reviews before i bought mine, and it came down to either a Geo or ASD. I cant remember why i chose the ASD over the Geo, but i think they are both great reactors.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your situation I'd just go with a
Two Little Fishies KW Reacto

I have one on my 180 and it does the trick

Back