Calcium Reactor

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium is high 520 my alkalinity is low minimum how long can I run the reactor

20201024_110737.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium ran 480-490 with my carx. Alk ran 7-7.5.
480-490 was not an issue.
My flange broke on my reactor so I had to shut it down.
I wanted my ca closer to nsw so I just dosed the alk for around 10 days until the part came in.
Alk lowered to 430.
It now runs at that level.

So you could do the same and turn it off and dose alk until your ca gets to where you want it and adjust your alk up slowley to the range you want.
My ph runs 7.9-8.2.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you already running a reactor? Did your alk/cal get out of whack from the reactor, or are you just thinking about running a reactor and your params are currently out of whack? Before firing up your reactor, you should use two part to get things in balance. Then, once your start up your reactor, things will more or less stay in balance but might require a two part adjustment every once and a while.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you already running a reactor? Did your alk/cal get out of whack from the reactor, or are you just thinking about running a reactor and your params are currently out of whack? Before firing up your reactor, you should use two part to get things in balance. Then, once your start up your reactor, things will more or less stay in balance but might require a two part adjustment every once and a while.
Been running the reactor for 2yrs

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium ran 480-490 with my carx. Alk ran 7-7.5.
480-490 was not an issue.
My flange broke on my reactor so I had to shut it down.
I wanted my ca closer to nsw so I just dosed the alk for around 10 days until the part came in.
Alk lowered to 430.
It now runs at that level.

So you could do the same and turn it off and dose alk until your ca gets to where you want it and adjust your alk up slowley to the range you want.
My ph runs 7.9-8.2.

Alk and cal reactor if it's setup correctly It's consistent

jeffm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always noticed that even though the reactor is dosing consistent, that doesn’t mean your system won’t consume at different levels (more alk...) from time to time. In one of my systems it seems like the Alk is aways a little low. 520 Cal and 7.5 Alk is actually close to where it is most weeks. So I’ll simple add a little Alk via two part.

Just like everyone will say - consistency matters most. I normally aim for 8.5-9 for Alk, (my other system stays there) but in that system I’ve left it at 7.5-8 and tried not to chase the number. Acros have been very happy at that lower number.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always noticed that even though the reactor is dosing consistent, that doesn’t mean your system won’t consume at different levels (more alk...) from time to time. In one of my systems it seems like the Alk is aways a little low. 520 Cal and 7.5 Alk is actually close to where it is most weeks. So I’ll simple add a little Alk via two part.

Just like everyone will say - consistency matters most. I normally aim for 8.5-9 for Alk, (my other system stays there) but in that system I’ve left it at 7.5-8 and tried not to chase the number. Acros have been very happy at that lower number.

What brand of alkalinity you use to dose the tank?

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What do you think

Brightwell Aquatics Alkalin8.3 - Concentrated KH Buffer Supplement for All Marine and Reef Aquariums

1. Brightwell Aquatics Alkalin8.3 - Concentrated KH Buffer Supplement for All Marine and Reef Aquariums

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how no where on the label is listed the sodium that is also part of the solution. I guess they don't want us to see the sodium so we don't know how bad it is for us ... ROFL.

jeffm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big CaRXs on each system do the lion share of dosing. I have always used BRS two part to adjust levels as needed. Works great so I’ve never tried anything else. I’m sure other Alk work fine just can’t speak to them personally.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking soda is all that you need to adjust alk/carbonate up. Muriatic Acid can adjust it down in fresh salt mix, but not in a tank.

DowFlake or other calcium chloride driveway melt is what I use for calcium.

I don't touch magnesium.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking soda is all that you need to adjust alk/carbonate up. Muriatic Acid can adjust it down in fresh salt mix, but not in a tank.

DowFlake or other calcium chloride driveway melt is what I use for calcium.

I don't touch magnesium.

I did try alk went up to 10

I last my torch corals 3 of them hammer doing good

Screenshot_20201026-143239_APEX Fusion.jpg

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you do water changes? if so what salt mix?

Do you use some dolomite in your reactor? or just crushed coral/ "bones"?

Personally I would do some water changes with a salt mix that mirrors the parameters that you are shooting for to get things back on track /balance.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz mixes out to be 470ppm in calcium, which could be a contributing factor in your high calcium levels.

When using an automated method of mineral replacement-reactor, dosing pumps etc etc, its important to choose a salt mix that tests close to what #s you want to shoot for, esp if you do water changes an a regular basis, because essentially your tanks parameters will start to reflect your salt mixes parameters with each water change if that makes sense.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz mixes out to be 470ppm in calcium, which could be a contributing factor in your high calcium levels.

When using an automated method of mineral replacement-reactor, dosing pumps etc etc, its important to choose a salt mix that tests close to what #s you want to shoot for, esp if you do water changes an a regular basis, because essentially your tanks parameters will start to reflect your salt mixes parameters with each water change if that makes sense.

Thank you for this useful info what would you recommend the salt I should get so I do water change every week I wish I can do a water change every 3 weeks I am running a reactor also growing

16037552999607296886211916913429.jpg 16037553164228656053998935455934.jpg 16037553386668653218470103636203.jpg

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

next time i am going to get the Instant Ocean Reef 400 on cal. torches dying as you sow on the pictures.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back