CALCIUM REACTORS, WHICH IS BETTER?

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at getting a calcium reactor on my 1000L (after displacement) tank.
I am looking at a deltec twintech or PF501 model.

Are there any others (that in your opinion) are better than others?
I would like a geo's reef one, but that isn't available here in the UK. And I would ideally want one that I can get spares and support for in the UK.

Main brands of calcium reactors here are:

TMC (TROPICAL MARINE CENTRE)
D-D THE AQUARIUM SOLUTION
DELTEC
AQUAFOREST
BUBBLE MAGUS

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deltec doesnt make a bad product at all.
One of the main reasons it's not used as predominantly on this side of the Atlantic is that we dont have many vendors here in the US and parts come from UK.
Personally, due to location, I'd stick with Deltec if I were you.

OP
OP
SAMS

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering a deltec but was thinking if there was another brand out there that I had missed or totally forgotten about.

Thanks for your help.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one that’s sized properly for your volume and doesn’t have a proprietary pump configuration. You want it easy to replace with local options, the simpler the better! My old Vertex drove me crazy because of the proprietary plumbing stuff on the pump. Spending $290 and waiting weeks to replace a pump that costs less than $75 sucks.

OP
OP
SAMS

SAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one that’s sized properly for your volume and doesn’t have a proprietary pump configuration. You want it easy to replace with local options, the simpler the better! My old Vertex drove me crazy because of the proprietary plumbing stuff on the pump. Spending $290 and waiting weeks to replace a pump that costs less than $75 sucks.

Thanks for the advice.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're willing to drop the money for something from Deltec, you might as well spend your money on the best product you can get.

Which would be an Automatic Calcium Reactor from Bill Wann @ Aquarium Engineering.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could not agree with this more. My vertex reactor came with a pump where the manufacturer had dribbled pvc cement into the pump when they manufactured the proprietary plumbing block. (Pic below)
I was a new reefer and couln’t figure out what was wrong until the pump unit burned out and I took it apart. Vertex was happy to charge me $$$ and wait 9 months to replace it. What a crappy company. Good riddance to vertex!
So basically take @2Wheelsonly ’s advice and get one where YOU can replace the pump yourself.
22AE2422-2B27-4A65-9E8D-397CFC5055E1.jpeg
C4355DF0-03D2-4A36-B3E5-74F78182E267.jpeg
C06B264B-3C93-4B99-8FEC-D3FE8E96A146.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SPR1968 has a Deltec that I think he is in love with and maybe he'll tell you about it! ;)

Johnpaul86

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use georeefs.com calcium reactor. It is very well made and simple to use. Uses a eheim pumps that are silent and reliable. Made in the usa and replament parts (if ever needed) are available.

20200217_162031.jpg

Johnpaul86

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry missed the part where you are in the UK. He might ship over there though.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I’m going to try Tunze

I hate mine and came to this thread because I was searching for other options. The nice thing about the tunze is that it doesn't need a peristaltic pump because it uses suction to draw water.....however, mine doesn’t work right and the effluent rate slows by itself every few days to the point of barely dripping. PH goes lower and lower and if it wasn’t on my apex, it would nuke my media. I cannot leave town with this thing in my tank. I’ve tried everything and want to throw it in the garbage.

I’m looking at the bubble magus because I really like my skimmer and the pricing is cheap.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate mine and came to this thread because I was searching for other options. The nice thing about the tunze is that it doesn't need a peristaltic pump because it uses suction to draw water.....however, mine doesn’t work right and the effluent rate slows by itself every few days to the point of barely dripping. PH goes lower and lower and if it wasn’t on my apex, it would nuke my media. I cannot leave town with this thing in my tank. I’ve tried everything and want to throw it in the garbage.

I’m looking at the bubble magus because I really like my skimmer and the pricing is cheap.
[/QOTE]
Call Roger at Tunze

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey donkey,

How Long have you been using Tunze?
Have you used any other CaLcium Reactors in the past?
Have you contacted Tunze in regards to the issues you experience?
You running it in Sump or out?

Sounds like the intake to the pump could be getting clogged?
Or the unit could really be crap?!

I’ve never had a Tunze product that didn’t work well and exceed my expectations, that’s why I was excited.

Now you have me nervous I just passed up a good deal on a ProCal. I like the Procal, just not a fan Of all the energy required to run them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back