Calcium shot up to above 800

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
1,630
Reaction score
1,002
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I changed Trident reagent B and C, my calcium shot up from 500 to above 800 within 24 hours!?? I checked the daily dosing total, and nothing out of ordinary. Unfortunately I don’t have Calcium test kit other than the Trident.
What caused this spike? I haven’t ran the calibration liquid that came with the new reagents yet as I believe you need to wait 48 hours?
@SuncrestReef
 
Ouch, will take a series of water changes and ceasing any calcium being added until you reach safe level 400 range
 
Don't start trying to lower your calcium. Everytime I change my reagents it screws up my readings until calibrated. I calibrate right after changing reagents, I thought the 48 hours was just on a new unit (I may very well be wrong).
I would strongly recommend getting a test kit to occasionally verify the trident readings.

I guarantee your calcium is not over 800
 
Last edited:
Once you get to where you can reasonably know about where your calcium is then work on lowering it below 500. Again don't react to a insanely high reading that is almost definitely false.
 
IF the level is correct. Why would it spiked up as I said above on post # 1?
Either trident faulty or it’s resding CA to soon after dosing giving false readings
A test with kit would offer confirmation of level taking a water sample to a trusted LFS and see what readings they come up with
 
Don't start trying to lower your calcium. Everytime I change my reagents it screws up my readings until calibrated. I calibrate right after changing reagents, I thought the 48 hours was just on a new unit (I may very well be wrong).
I would strongly recommend getting a test kit to occasionally verify the trident readings.

I guarantee your calcium is not over 800
I just ran the calibration and then ran the trident and this time the calcium dropped to 569 from above 800. The new reagents did mess up the results.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new