Calcium

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out my parameters and no mater how much I search I can’t find anything about what causes calcium to stay high.

112gal 142gal system
Reef tank 5 months old
Pair of Clowns
1 male 1 female lyertail anthias ( 1 female did not make qt new on the way with a dusky and gold rhombus wrasse)
Parameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Mag 1350
PH 8.1
Alkalinity 9
Nitrate 13.2
Phosphate .10
Calcium 510 (been -/+ 500 since I have had my tank)

So it’s the last that my brain is trying to figure out. I use instant ocean purple which has calcium of 400. Everything I read people are dosing calcium moreover I have read to get coraline high calcium will inhibit that?
I’m not extremely concerned about the level just trying to understand it. What could be making it high and will that affect my coraline growth?

Thanks

IMG_4993.jpeg

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren't dosing calcium and only doing water changes, you are doing the calcium test wrong. It's very easy to mess up the hanna calcium test, I've done it a few times when starting out. There are videos online to help fine tune the accuracy of the test.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re saying it’s been wrong evertime for 5 months? I’m using the Hanna checkers BTW
Doesnt sound like it could be that high if you have not started dosing it yet. Are you using RO/DI water w/ the IO salt?
Otherwise I agree w/ killer2001.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out my parameters and no mater how much I search I can’t find anything about what causes calcium to stay high.

112gal 142gal system
Reef tank 5 months old
Pair of Clowns
1 male 1 female lyertail anthias ( 1 female did not make qt new on the way with a dusky and gold rhombus wrasse)
Parameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Mag 1350
PH 8.1
Alkalinity 9
Nitrate 13.2
Phosphate .10
Calcium 510 (been -/+ 500 since I have had my tank)

So it’s the last that my brain is trying to figure out. I use instant ocean purple which has calcium of 400. Everything I read people are dosing calcium moreover I have read to get coraline high calcium will inhibit that?
I’m not extremely concerned about the level just trying to understand it. What could be making it high and will that affect my coraline growth?

Thanks

IMG_4993.jpeg
Have you actually tested the new batch of water you made for calcium? I would start there.

OP
OP
library 112

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt sound like it could be that high if you have not started dosing it yet. Are you using RO/DI water w/ the IO salt?
Otherwise I agree w/ killer2001.
Yes make my own rodi using purple lid instant ocean

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that the Hanna tester is wrong/ defective.
But I would try some of the other suggestions first especially the fresh batch. Maybe different test kit…

Just to confirm your calcium level has been +/- 500 from the start…

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can be false readings
salt mix
Higher than normal alk
Coral not consuming much CA

Test calcium next time you make water before placing in tank and see what reading you get.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Hanna calcium tester is difficult to use and prone to testing error. More likely than not you’re consistently making the same error that leads to consistent results every time.

I agree that you should test a batch of fresh saltwater, that should be right around where expected if testing error is not to blame.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottle of distilled that came with the kit.
I didn’t know that it did. Most be something new.

Very small contamination of calcium can give high results.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes make my own rodi using purple lid instant ocean
I setup my tank w/ that @close to the 12 week mark and Ca had been around 400 .. I have been having to dose now last 2 weeks or so as it had dropped as low as 350.
Something isn’t right .. test your water change water see where Ca is @

CoralCrafted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP Test, 30$. Get a REAL baseline number, Then just use that against hanna, Lets say its 450 and hanna is 510 then just know your hanna reads high, I honesty don't like hannas for that reason but consistency is more key than perfect water in my opinion.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That must be new.
Is the DI water labelled HI70436M?

I'd suggest ensuring that you are using the Micropipette correctly and not pushing it all the way down when you are taking the aquarium water sample.
That's what I was doing wrong the first few times I used Hanna to measure calcium.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That must be new.

I'd suggest ensuring that you are using the Micropipette correctly and not pushing it all the way down when you are taking the aquarium water sample.
I never heard of DI water coming with the kit either.

OP, can you tell us how you test calcium step by step?

You are using RODI or distilled in the first step? Are you using the correct pipette to pull sample water? (not plunging it all the way down to collect, only to first step of plunger)
So many questions...

EDIT: no where can I find that distilled water comes with the kit. And even on the website for Hanna, they have instructions where to buy water.(number 2 in the instructions)

Screenshot_20240430_064832_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
library 112

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That must be new.

Out of town now till Wednesday, to get the number of the bottle. I did watch a few vids on the tester and I could be using the micro pipet wrong. Doing a test with it on a batch of saltwater and the tank when I get home to see if its user error.

When watching the videos I saw the micro pipet had a small attachment and don't feel that I have that need to see if I do. And yes check on plunging all the way down, this is a very likely possibility . Hoping that the only issue, I have some calcium to does on stand by if I am actually really low.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When watching the videos I saw the micro pipet had a small attachment and don't feel that I have that need to see if I do. And yes check on plunging all the way down, this is a very likely possibility .
Ah, yes. Only push to first stop when collecting. Push all the way to second stop when putting the collected sample into the vile. This will evacuate all the water from the pipette.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back