Calculated my start up cost, questioning my sanity.

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kid only wanted a Betta fish, and I thought a salt tank would be a better investment - laughs on me.. I thought the forums were exaggerating the start up cost if your not shopping on Facebook.

We have a QT with meds up and running for under $250 easy. This thought made me feel insane after doing a spreadsheet and seeing the difference. I’ll easily be over $2k by time our two little clowns pop into a measly 65g display tank & hoping they live.

When I realized just how much, I’m at the point of might as well get it right now rather than upgrade later. Maybe that way I’ll stop researching like it’s a full time job. So let’s just say $3k, so I can get a fancy low maintenance fish litterbox (reefmat). And not to mention wave makers, ato, lights.

When did you realize you should have taken a vacation instead?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My kid only wanted a Betta fish, and I thought a salt tank would be a better investment - laughs on me.. I thought the forums were exaggerating the start up cost if your not shopping on Facebook.

We have a QT with meds up and running for under $250 easy. This thought made me feel insane after doing a spreadsheet and seeing the difference. I’ll easily be over $2k by time our two little clowns pop into a measly 65g display tank & hoping they live.

When I realized just how much, I’m at the point of might as well get it right now rather than upgrade later. Maybe that way I’ll stop researching like it’s a full time job. So let’s just say $3k, so I can get a fancy low maintenance fish litterbox (reefmat). And not to mention wave makers, ato, lights.

About many thousands ago.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you arent filthy rich, this isn't the hobby for remorseless spending. The old dude that got me into this hobby told me, in the late 90's, " if you can't set a $100 bill on fire and walk away like nothing happened, pick a new hobby.".

It's not that it's super expensive. There are many more expensive hobbies, guns, guitars, and cars for example. But this hobby ends poorly for a lot of people. Today's $150 frag can easily part of next week's substrate.

Regardless, stick with it. It's immensely rewarding when you get it down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped counting, it’s too depressing. I could have bought a car instead of my 3 saltwater aquariums (only one left).
When I hear people say multiples so often, I keep wondering how long before I start splurging again.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I would call in an investment. More like I sold my kidney, used my kids college fund , skipped the vacation , and the sports car to splurge on a 90 gallon.
my kids asking what’s so funny as I read these.. oh help us lol. I’m already justifying the missed vacation by thinking it’ll make the house more enjoyable - hopefully.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are filthy rich, this isn't the hobby for remorseful spending. The old dude that got me into this hobby told me, in the late 90's, " if you can't set a $100 bill on fire and walk away like nothing happened, pick a new hobby.".

It's not that it's super expensive. There are many more expensive hobbies, guns, guitars, and cars for example. But this hobby ends poorly for a lot of people. Today's $150 frag can easily part of next week's substrate.

Regardless, stick with it. It's immensely rewarding when you get it down.
I can see it. It quickly hit me not to be cheap over a tank or other products when we’ll be buying $$$ fish that may not make it home.

Adding it all up did make me wish I shopped on Facebook though. This upfront cost is an eyesore.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until you find out that automation breeds success. Wifi dosers and auto water changes are as game changing as ATO's and led's
It’s everything! The more I keep reading the more the more enticing everything gets - and the display isn’t even up yet. Went from thinking salt and a heater were the only essentials, to 10 different $$$ gadgets lol

thebootreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

as a broke college student that has spent way to much in my waterbox setup. For me I cut a lot of my cost down, like not having ATO, nice simple little wavemakers ( that personally work great for me! now) ov I have a little more personal work I have to do when it comes to reef tank chores. like topping my water off with a cup once a way! ( and one cup works perfectly for me! until the next day when I wake up!) but it has just become part of the morning chores!

I do have lot of plans within the next month to upgrade lights, other things like that! but starting out I cut a lot of cost down and just slowly upgraded as I learned the next step and understood it better!

I tell people its like living art :) can't put a price on art!.... well you can

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several tanks and the moment for me was when my wife mentioned that I had spent $10,000 that year, and it wasn’t a year that I even started a new tank.
I strongly advise that you don’t keep a spreadsheet. Ignorance is bliss.
Ignorance is bliss should be the tagline under every saltwater tank search.

I keep telling myself it won’t be so bad after this start. But I know that’s a lie too

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several tanks and the moment for me was when my wife mentioned that I had spent $10,000 that year, and it wasn’t a year that I even started a new tank.
I strongly advise that you don’t keep a spreadsheet. Ignorance is bliss.
This thread is gonna turn into a master class on how to justify and or ignore poor spending habits. By the group of people who have to make justifications to remain sane. Following

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
" if you can't set a $100 bill on fire and walk away like nothing happened, pick a new hobby.".
I was told this in the late 2000’s when I built out my first tank. Here I am back in the hobby almost two decades later with a new mantra “ if you don’t keep track of the money spent it’s not that expensive of a hobby.” :face-with-tears-of-joy:

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spending all that money allowed me to grow all that coral to pay for my new tank look how much money I saved.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back